Any rattle can paint for fiberglass?

Normspeed

I need to shoot some black paint on my teardrop fenders. They're fiberglass and came with a black semi-gloss finish and I used them just like that. After a few years, the semi-gloss is all weathered off and I'd like to pull the fenders and shoot some fresh stuff on there. This is not a show quality resto, just want to touch it up. Any ideas on what brands or types of primer and paint would stick well to fiberglass?

post-64-13585344650924_thumb.jpg

Just about any spray can paint will work fine. The tried and true Krylon works great on almost all surfaces. You'll need to lightly sand the surface with about 1200 grit wet/dry paper and wipe it down with cleaner/thinner and a tack rag before you shoot it

Rattle can paint is at best a temp fix and will require frequent re-doing to stay in nice looking shape. However it appears that access to a compressor and spray gun is your main problem..however if you do have access and cost is your killer...then a very economical system that would do well on the fenders would be Rustoleum Gloss Black, quart is about 8.00 and you can get a can of acrylic hardner at any auto finish store for under 10.00 and mix 8-4-1 and shoot it..the hardner really adds gloss and protection to the Rustoleum paint..I use the generic brand hardner with this and it does frames and underside of fenders fantastically..as they eventually get undercoat..no sense to pay high price for paint...you will find that when dry that the abilty to remove this paint with 500 grit is a bit on the difficult side..it bonds excellent to well prepared surfaces.

8 parts paint

4 parts reducer (or as needed to reach correct viscosity to spray, may want

to use a fast reducer for this time of year.)

1 part hardner

couple drops of fish eye eliminator if you wish...

Use Tim's Recipe and roll it on with a short nap mini roller. Two to four coats withs some sanding with 800 in between will spiff them up nicely. If you want a semi gloss finish some flatener can be added or top with semi gloss clear that can be had in rattle cans from auto body supply sources.

Thanks Norm, I do believe I've seen this stuff around. My teardrop is far from a show restoration, and the rough edges are part of its personality, so something like this should work fine. I'll remove the fenders and scuff sand 'em a bit before spraying. Now the tough part is, it's getting due for another aluminum polishing job. That is a lot of buffing and a dirty job, but looks so darned good when it's done.

post-64-13585344680667_thumb.jpg

That's funny Bob, someone else thought that was a mailbox too. It does look like one. It's one of those old automotive "canteens", I think they used to be in sets of 3 for gas, oil and water, and mounted on the running board of your touring car. I carry spare water for those desert runs. It's attached to the side of an old wooden box that serves as my battery box for a deep cycle RV battery.