Trim for my Dodge...OT but not totally

splat1955

Hey Guys,

I bid and won a piece of SS trim for the right side front fender today. No big deal....didn't expect much...just something better than the one I had on my car already cause it had been pancaked about 6 inches...but still didn't look totally wasted. Anyway, a guy had the piece.....said it was in nearly like new condition and had been polished...he wanted $20...got it for $25. For some reason I didn't expect to get it until the end of the week.....but it came today and it was packed better than anything I've ever gotten on the bay. The guy had taken some styrofoam pieces and cut a slot on the inside so the piece would fit...and the piece is probably at least 24 inches long. Then he wrapped the styrofoam housing in cardboard with duct tape....then put the whole assembly in a box and sent it Priority Mail. When I got it out of the box, man, it looks like new....probably better than every other piece of trim I have on my car...but besides the shipping container he made to protect it impressing me, the other thing was that he sent it with the correct moulding clips still installed and marked with a marker on the inside of the stainless as to which one went where. Man, usually I have just an " okay " feeling when I get something from the bay....very seldom is it the feeling of " Man, what a deal!"....if you know what I mean. Now, I can pull off the pancaked piece and take the clips from it and use them to put the drivers side fender moulding on that I haven't put on since I got the car cause I couldn't find the right clips! And that trim is pristine too! Just thought I'd share something good that happened today....Since I was bummed most of last night when our heater guy told me our heater is shot and needs to be replaced.

The furnace in my previous abode, an Austin Minnesota duplex, was a c. 1955 CHRYSLER furnace. Terribly inefficient by today's standards, compare the fuel economy of a 1955 Plymouth V8 vs. a 2005 Dodge Stratus. But any ways, it is over 50 years old and in the 5 years we lived there, we never had a lick of trouble. Turned on every fall and ran like a champ until late spring.

Hey Guys......Yeah Shel, it's a Lennox Pulse. I found the original paper work today....it was manufactured in '88 and been up there since the end of '88....so nearly 20 years of service.....I guess I can't complain. I had a guy come out winter before last....he said it was going to need a " tune up " soon....which is a new ignition module and a couple of other parts. But he was able to get it working...but now we are having the same problem again...it fires up, runs through a few cycles, but never getting up to pre-set thermostat temp...then shuts down. Then you can turn it off and back on at the thermostat and it will run through a few more cycles...the bummer is in only runs for a short time....and you have to turn it off and on constantly to get it for about 45 minutes just to get it to warm up 1 degree....and the heater only runs about 5 minutes each time....that's a lot of up and down to turn on the switch.

The other bummer....the heater guy told us it could cost $600 for the tune up parts. I told him it's not worth it to me...so he is going to see if he can find a deal on the parts, he's been around doing it for 20 years. And needless to say, if we can make it through the winter with it, next year we will go new. If he can't find the parts, I say we just buy a couple of those quartz units....one for each end of the house and burn the heck out of those till next year. But all in all, over the last 6 years, until yesterday, I'd only spent $40 on the heater.......$95 yesterday. I can't complain. At least until I get the bids for a new one.

25 years, even if it is a "Lennox", is a more than reasonable life for a furnace.

They are also more efficient now. Time for a new one.

We are still running with the original furnace when the house was built in 1958. Back in the late 70's the gas company was offering a free energy audit, so I had them come out and do one for the house. They said our furnace was actually a little too large for the house and it was inefficient. However, they went on to say that it would not pay to replace the furnace with an energy efficient one, because the payback would be too long. Of course, each year it's inspected and cleaned by a private contractor. When we added central air in the 90's I checked into a new furnace again. Again, the contractor said all we needed was a new shaft for the fan that only ran an additional $100 over the AC install price. Since the furnace is from 1958, the shaft had to be custom made by a machine shop, that's why it was $100. The only other thing that's cost us money to repair on it since we bought the house in 73 is a couple of pilot light wicks. So...........knock on wood, we can't complain.

On the other hand a friend of ours who's house was built the same time, had their furnace replaced in the early 90's. I see a repair truck sitting in their driveway about 3 or 4 times a year there. So.........if you have an old furnace and it's reliable, it's better to keep it as long as you can, even if you have to have the repair parts made special.

Yeah....I'm hoping he can find a deal on the parts too. It would make this time of year a little easier....but, if not, I just talked to the wife and she is taking the day off tomorrow so we can go down the mountain and do some Christmas shopping for our daughter while she is in school....So we will be looking at those quartz heaters at Sam's Club, Target & Costco. I'd give putting in a new Furnace myself a try....but, I've been up in the attic.....and I've seen that old Lennox.....it's huge....so it would have to be dis-assembled to get it out....and a new furnace put back in it's place....And I don't think I'm up to getting all that done...I think I'll leave that to professionals...But, if were not in the attic.....I'd probably try to save some bucks and give it a try.

Norm got you beat by 4 years. Running the original 54 unit in my house. Still thinking about replacing it for a more efficient one. One of these years I probably will. FYI I think my dinosaur furnace is a Janitrol or something like that

Ya know John, ....you are exactly right. When I posted at the head of this thread....I really was just writing to mention about how I not only got a great trim piece.....but how the seller had gone out of his way to protect the part and get it to me quicker than I'd have expected......Thanks for bringing that back up cause that really was the heart of my post. And I'm still just stoked about how great the piece was. And heat....well, there's no shortage of furnaces and heaters out there...but I'd be hard pressed to find another piece of SS trim in the condition of the piece I just got.

funny , the replies go about the bad experience.....

Thought your trim message was all about the great way you got a piece of trim in better shape and seemingly with the guy going the extra mile!

Good to hear that you had that good experience !

John

Yes, it IS nice to get such a buy from someone on ebay. The sellers are not

all bad - many are just everyday folks. Most I have corresponded with were

cordial and easy to talk to.

One guy I just bought a package of guitar picks from threw in (at no extra charge) two felt picks he thought might be good for use with the bass guitar.