Fuel Tank Questions ('50 Dodge Coronet D34)

ddesjard

Hi, All: I have some questions about a fuel tank that I've taken off of my '50 Dodge Coronet. 

Question 1: I don't see any numbers or codes stamped on the tank. Is that expected, or are you surprised to hear that?

Question2: I have a '50 MOPAR parts catalog, which lists the cars from that year that can use the tank. I have seen some tanks like mine for sale (both OEM and after-market) that say it will work in various MOPAR vehicles from '49-52. Is that generally true--that a good number of cars from '49-52 use the same tank?

Thanks and best wishes!

12 minutes ago, ddesjard said:

Is that generally true--that a good number of cars from '49-52 use the same tank?

Yes it is.

DJ

• Like 1

the Surburban tank is one of the easiest tanks to retrofit with a donor tank using original Plymouth straps and inlet pipe located in the rear quarter panel and at a price of less than 100.00 when I did mine.  At 16 gallon, foot print is unaltered, the straps also align with donor so the unknowing glance from folks would not be obvious to the upgrade. 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

if it's of interest to anyone, here's the lowdown on tank interchangeability (from my 1950 MOPAR Parts List). Not sure if all of this applies to other years in the 1949-52 span.

PXL_20240907_221228812~3.jpg

Bob Riding and Plymouthy Adams: Thanks so much for these insights. I was wondering how much of a hassle finding a new tank would be for the station wagon folks. 

Best wishes.

Yes, except for the fuel neck orientation. I just went through this exercise for my '52 Suburban. Car tank was different. From the vendor's Moparpro)  pictures, it looks like the car tank is definitely deeper than the wagon...image.png.5db07790a05867020d6ce807acc8faba.pngimage.png.9b84b22e5e6b6afacc16987aae9347d5.png 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ddesjard said:

Bob Riding and Plymouthy Adams: Thanks so much for these insights. I was wondering how much of a hassle finding a new tank would be for the station wagon folks. 

Best wishes.

You're welcome. As far as my research showed, Moparpro was the only vendor currently selling newly manufactured Suburban tanks. Also, with any of his post '48 Mopar tanks, make sure you order the ferrule. Although Chrysler changed to a longer nosed 5/16 fuel line fitting in '49,(shown below), those fittings are not common, hence the need for the ferrule. MoparPro uses a 5/16-20 thread inverted flare (with the brass ferrule.)

Here is his video on the subject: gas tank ferrule mopar cars and trucks

image.png

• Like 1

I am one to do my own research and dare to be different upgrades.  I happened to have access to this particular tank, few quick measurements revealed that a quick mod to the inlet put in as 'shoe in' for the Suburban, so for 80.00 I bought a brand new tank and did the deed.   IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY but anyone accustomed to fitting would never have an issue making the mods.    As Kramer would say, Move along Betty nothing to see here.  if you do not have the time tools and welding skill set to do the deed moparpro is your next best bet.  This task I did long before moparpro started trying to supply some stuff to the hobby and keep in mind that I also upgraded the instrumentation and while with the Suburban is easily falls in the generic senders that also is not a hard task to bring up to date newer or existing fuel gauge.    As the suburban is powered by fuel injection, the tank supports return fuel, high pressure pump and of course the low fuel indicator light added for 'just because I wanted it.'  The original tank was nothing but scaled rust on the few surfaces still visible to eye, totally toasted it was.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

scan of page on tank info from parts book that covers 1950 Mopar cars.

Note the differences between Suburbans and Station Wagons .

They are Not the same thing.  After the woodie wagon years they do get used very often as interchangeable names from what I read.

Correct?  Am I opening the can of Werms?! I know spelling !!

DJ

Scan_20240908 tanks.jpg

Yes, 1949 and '50 were the last years that the Plymouth woodie wagons were produced alongside the first all-steel station wagons, which were based on a passenger-car chassis -a Plymouth first. The '46 Jeep and Chevolet's Suburbans from the '30s were all steel wagons, but were based on their commercial chassis. As you can see, by 1949, Chrysler was advertising the all-steel station wagon as a "Suburban"image.png.07d737879259e1b934cc9ed4c753ad3e.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ddesjard said:

Bob Riding and Plymouthy Adams: All this talk of Suburbans is making me want one. Maybe when I'm rich....

Well, it just so happens that I found this one waiting for me in the northern CA foothills of the Sierra Nevada last week. I'll let you know when it's ready for a new home :D

IMG_0433 (1).jpeg