Getting the truck ready to drag home

Go to solution Solved by Veemoney,

Got to spend some time with the truck. Got the bed and the cab emptied out. Disconnected the rear U-joint and tied up the driveshaft… and the diff does not turn. It’s going to get Chem Tool and diesel to loosen up the old gear grease. 

Found the license plates in the cab - last tagged in ‘79.  And they threw in a grille guard - it was not on the truck when we owned it.  Score!

Getting closer.  

On 4/6/2024 at 12:56 AM, Los_Control said:

He claims that it could have come from the factory like that,  Dodge wanted to use all the old last year engines up to get ready for the next year models ..... No idea if that is true.

Weren't the new motors stamped right after they bolted them to the frame (so that you have the matching numbers on the motor and the frame)? :)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

Weren't the new motors stamped right after they bolted them to the frame (so that you have the matching numbers on the motor and the frame)? :)

C'mon now,  my story and get to tell it the way I want .... 🤣🤣🤣

Not sure what is more important, chatting with my 85 year old Uncle on the front porch on a spring day telling me the story ..... Or the actual truth to the story.

I sure would like some more days with Uncle telling me some stories .... :D

Sorry. I have a very old relative who is also into telling "stories" most of which never happened and are obviously so absurd to be even remotely plausible. I try to nod and let most things pass by, for the 101st time I am hearing it, but after a certain while I still tend to get irritated when the level of shenanigans reaches a certain limit 😆

2 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

Here is a photo of the brush guard, IF the computer photo gods allow...

Is that a factory accessory or a DIY? 🤔

• Like 1

I think it is a factory accessory.  All of them I have seen look like that. The “D” was added by the guy I just bought the truck from. 

Current plans are to use it when I rebuild the truck. 

8 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

I think it is a factory accessory.  All of them I have seen look like that. The “D” was added by the guy I just bought the truck from. 

Current plans are to use it when I rebuild the truck. 

Likely not a "factory" accesory, more likely a mass produced catalog or dealer option, these aren't listed in the Accesories section of the manuals.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Went by today to free the diff up.  I had a half qt of auto trans fluid, so I topped that off with diesel - not enough. Used a funnel and began flooding the diff with diesel - took about another quart or two before it flowed back out the hole. Still frozen.  I guess the 70 yr old gear grease had become a semi-solid. 

Finally, I used the U-Joint straps to clamp a 5’ cheater to the diff.  Took all of my weight, but I finally worked it loose. Worked it back and forth till I could rotate it. Got it loose enough to tow.  PITA. 

The tires came out of a barn, and they still hold air. Wow. I only need to tow it about a mile, so I will only put about 25lbs in them. 

Next, air and install tires, get some more stuff out of the way, then drag it where I can get the front on a tow dolly.  I will get it in the open before I get a dolly.  Maybe I should just buy a cheap tow bar. It would cost about the same as renting a dolly. 

Edited by Bobacuda
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My son was able to assist today, so with further assistance from a U-Haul trailer and my tractor to do the pushing and pulling, we got it loaded and hauled to the house.

Of course, I took an awkward fall on my back, hurt like hell, so my son did everything but run the tractor. 
image.png.cdeb57ceccba21adf3ea56825ca4aad9.png

• Like 2