Meet Elbert

Reg Evans

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now that is where you will fit back into the more RARE realm of ownership...congrats...I really like that look and would like to have a split glass for my 51 'burb

Tim; I too am the owner of a '51 Suburban Savoy (the less expensive model)

Maybe we can find someone to make us up some split rear lift-gates? I think they are cool too...

Also I need a tailight, and various small stuff.

Have you found anyone that sells the rubber for side or back window glass? (or windshield ws for that matter?)

Thanks

Bob

post-96-13585346561275_thumb.jpg

post-96-13585346561582_thumb.jpg

Neil is back-- try him for the lenses. He has had several of those over the years. My 50 Chrysler Royal woodie wagon has a set on it--slightly crowned on the top of the lens, 2 raised ribs and straight across on the bottom.

Bob

Bob..The Savoy is the more expensive trim model..you should have the beltline molding on your car..the Suburban is the lesser cost model and very stark..I have found a set of beltline I think I will add to my wagon though. IF I should ever break my rear glass I will make an insert of metal to allow me to use flat cut glass and stay away from the slighly curve rear glass that is in there now..that may cost a bit in the long run.

As for the rear channel rubber...I had a mold made and rubber extruded for my wagon...other pieces were to be made also but the ball has been dropped by him and he would never assign a part number to the molding he made for the rear glass..when last at his place..he could not even put his hand on the mold he made...I had a few other people interested in the rubber but he never came through with for me for them..strange..it is his business to sell molded rubber...I will not call the company name here..but my dealing with him is that he has a good product..just that his commercial side is very demanding and this is more of a hobby to do auto...only way I can explain his shortcomings. As for the other companies..their product is not close enough to use...IMHO

its is confusing at time..built on the Concorde chassis...low line Suburban..high line Savoy..like I said earlier..the most distinctive feature is the beltline on the Savoy and not on the Suburban..

I have seen the Suburban script come up on the bidding place now and then..I do not have any extra to pass your way...one guy on this page may chime in as I know he parted a couple out in the past..I know one was a Savoy..not sure about the other..

Are new door latch mechanisms available somewhere for the 49 Suburban?

I loosened the receiver part on the door jamb and moved it as far in as possible and the doors still have lots of slop when closed:confused:

Reg..is the rotor star still tight..play here and the thing will never shut/latchtight..also look for the very tips worn off due to long use and mal-adjustment..these are still rebuildable..kits are out there. Can't remember if I saw these on Robgerts page, Mr. B's or Mike Moparts...for that matter could have been Mitchell motors long back..

The star wheels are what I've been searching for to fit my 41. The only place that even has them listed is AB and he (go figger) doesn't have any in stock and not likely to get any more.:(

I've got a guy here who MIGHT have some in a box of small parts. If I find what I need, I'll check on some to fit the 49.

Yes Tim, The stars seem to be worn and one has a chip out of it. The other part on the jamb is probably worn too. Is this a common latch used for many years or just for a year or two? Anyone here have part numbers?

Thanks Tim and Anthony.

Reg..is the rotor star still tight..play here and the thing will never shut/latchtight..also look for the very tips worn off due to long use and mal-adjustment..these are still rebuildable..kits are out there. Can't remember if I saw these on Robgerts page, Mr. B's or Mike Moparts...for that matter could have been Mitchell motors long back..

Reg, I've scanned the pages from the parts book for '49 Mopars that are related to "tailgates". Send me an email address and I will forward it to you. I can't seem to get the file small enough to be able to post here and still have it readable.

John