OT......Today I rode a ferry

Don Coatney

boat from the Port of San Francisco across the bay to Sausalito and back. I wanted to make sure I tried all forms of transportation on this trip. I first went to the Ferry building and got in line to board the boat that was just docking. All the folks in line were duded up in there Sunday best and I felt somewhat out of place in my dungarees. Talking with the folks in line I found the docking boat was the USS POTOMAC once owned by president FDR and Elvis with some drug smuggling history thrown in. The cost to ride this boat was a big buck and a half per person with wine tasting and fancy food served.

This food was so fancy that I dont know how to spell it. I never tried mushroom bouchee or endive or blinis and dont think I will. I backed out of line and found the boat pictured below. Capped off the boat ride with lunch at In & Out Burger. This is probably the only In & Out in the country with a walk through (not drive through) window. Food was so good I may return there for supper.

http://www.usspotomac.org/history.cfm

ferry1.jpg

ferry2.jpg

Capped off the boat ride with lunch at In & Out Burger. This is probably the only In & Out in the country with a walk through (not drive through) window. Food was so good I may return there for supper.

A boat ride is always fun. I'm with you about eating gourmet food, don't need that. However, not so sure about the In & Out Burger. Does that mean you're in and out of the place, or............. does In & Out Burger mean something else.:confused::D

Norm;

In N Out is a west coast chain in California, Nevada, and Arizona only. By far the best burgers in my opinion.

http://www.in-n-out.com/

Now I did notice there is a Hooters next door to the In-N-Out so I do have a decision to make. Food or Hooters, Food or Hooters, Food or Hooters, what to do:confused:

original_hooters.jpg

That should be an easy decision. At Hooters you get both. Hooters and food.:)

Norm;

I did Hooters. I cannot believe you of all people recommended Hooters as they have paper towels not napkins on the table. There must not be a Hooters between your garage and the end of your driveway:D The Hooter menu is mostly chicken wings. I asked my waitress (a young black junior hooter girl) what she recommended other than wings. She suggested a chicken brest sandwich. I told her I prefered dark meat so she then suggested and I went with the wings. They were good but not as good as In-N-Out.

Looks like your having a blast on your trip. Your getting a bit of good weather too.

Never did like the food at Hooters, and to be honest with you,, their advertisement ladies look way better then in real life.

In N Out is almost a bi monthly stop for me and my two dogs. They get to split a patty on the side while I have mine as we sit in the car and watch the people drive by,, :).

In the old daze you could modify the In n Out bumper stickers. I found this info about the phenomenon:

".... a major increase in popularity and cult status came from a mutated promotional campaign that started in the early 80's. This was back when the company started producing bumper stickers emblazoned with its name and logo. These brightly colored stickers had "In-N-Out" printed on the top line, with "Burger" below that. Some creative soul cut the "B" and the last "R" from "Burger", changing the word into "urge." While many saw "In-N-Out Urge" as an innocuous statement reflecting a craving for a juicy Double-Double, others knew the message had a more sexual intent. In a short time In-N-Out was producing the most popular bumper sticker on the roads of Southern California.

This didn't exactly thrill the strongly Christian family who had founded the company. We're talking about a family so committed to their beliefs that you'll find "John 3:16" printed in tiny red letters on the bottom of every soft drink cup. Although visibility and awareness of the chain was suddenly peaking, the company chose to redesign the bumper stickers, making this sort of alteration much more difficult. Today the bumper stickers still say "In-N-Out" on them, but the "Burger" has been converted to an artist's rendering of a hamburger."

Hey Norm,

I knew it was going to be a Calif resident to bring up the In N Out bumper sticker:D I still have a couple of the originals around here somewhere....although I haven't actually seen them since our move here 6 years ago....could still be in a box that we never unpacked I suppose. But, I have to admit....I was one of those guys with the " urge " rendition of the bumper sticker on all my old hot rods.... I even had " Don't laugh mister, your daughter might be in here! " on the opposite side of the rear bumper on my radical old '63 Chevy Panel Truck. Man, now I don't think I'd have the nerve to have either of those on my bumper....especially since my 12 year old daughter drives around with me all the time. I'd probably get pulled over and cuffed up!

Don..did that ferry ride remind you of maybe driving to the end of your drive way then driving back into the garage...

I did Hooters at Jacksonville on the Landing many years ago..what I remember most about that night was the sound of my Porsche reverberating off the tall building as I rev'ed downtown...headers dumping into Monza exhaust...very sweeeeet...!!!!!!! Dang I miss that car...the 4.43 rear gear would really bring that engine to speed quick...

Sorry Norm.....

Don..did that ferry ride remind you of maybe driving to the end of your drive way then driving back into the garage...

I did Hooters at Jacksonville on the Landing many years ago..what I remember most about that night was the sound of my Porsche reverberating off the tall building as I rev'ed downtown...headers dumping into Monza exhaust...very sweeeeet...!!!!!!! Dang I miss that car...the 4.43 rear gear would really bring that engine to speed quick...

Sorry Norm.....

Tim, no need to be sorry. I think a lot of people do what I do. Back into the garage so they can drive out of the driveway when they leave. Then back in the driveway to the garage again when they come home. Don't want to drive in the grass and make ruts in the yard. It's either that, or pull into the driveway and back out.:P Do you or anyone else know of a way not to drive in the driveway to get into the garage?

Don, are you sure it's Hooters Revenge. Could be that In N Out you ate making it's way out after making it's way in yesterday.

I pick on you Norm but at least your car is drivable..mine is on the lift about 6 feet off the floor with the front clip and both front tires off. All the parts are laying on my two 4 x 8 foot roll around tables under the lift..I move them in and out of the shop as I work onthe car itself. Cleaning the front suspension is one long very messy job. The engine painting is shaping up..I have not had time to do much to it these past few days in prepping for Thanksgiving and picking up pecans.

I bake my raisen pies tonight...how many people here have eaten raisen pie? One of my favorites and my grandmother made the best...of course I think she was an excellent cook and especially excellent baker. Come on Thanksgiving...!!!

I pick on you Norm but at least your car is drivable..mine is on the lift about 6 feet off the floor with the front clip and both front tires off. All the parts are laying on my two 4 x 8 foot roll around tables under the lift..I move them in and out of the shop as I work onthe car itself. Cleaning the front suspension is one long very messy job. The engine painting is shaping up..I have not had time to do much to it these past few days in prepping for Thanksgiving and picking up pecans.

I bake my raisen pies tonight...how many people here have eaten raisen pie? One of my favorites and my grandmother made the best...of course I think she was an excellent cook and especially excellent baker. Come on Thanksgiving...!!!

Tim, I can remember having to push my coupe in and out of the garage when the engine was out. No lift to get under there to clean everything. So........just climbed in the empty engine compartment and cleaned and painted it that way.

Never had raisin pie, but sounds good. Think it might get revenge on me if I ate it though. I do like mince meat pie so it should be almost the same.

I'm with you Tim......C'mon Thanksgiving!!! This year Thanksgiving falls on my wifes' birthday....so once again, I was given an ultimatum.....I can either do all the Thanksgiving cooking and cleaning or, I can take her and our daughter out someplace that serves Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving falling on her b-day doesn't happen all that often...so most years it's no big deal...she cooks. Well, this year I am kind of working it.......I'm doing both, but at the same time, I'm doing neither. One of our local little stores that has a Deli is cooking and selling the complete meal....with the works. So, little does she know that I am buying the meal, not cooking, and not having to take her out for it either. Of course, I still have to dishes to do...but hey, I've got a 12 year old daughter that is gonna be helping with those.

Oh, hey Tim....I've never heard of Raisin pie....but it sounds interesting......I'd like to try it....probably the totally wrong forum to ask...but do ya wanna share a recipe? Geeez....that question I just asked somehow almost sounds like it should be under this Thread name....Sorry guys.....but now and then I just throw caution to the wind.....Hahahahahah....I'm still laughin about the thread name thing....But Tim really, I'd like to give that raisin pie a try.

2013 is the next time Thanksgiving and my birthday will be the same...they don't call me a turkey for nothing...lol

I have not worked my birthday in I cannot remember how long...this year it is in the middle of the week following Thanksgiving..so tomorrow evening I break for Thanksgiving and will not return to work till Dec. 3rd...this my friend is my time of the year...

Oh, hey Tim....I've never heard of Raisin pie....but it sounds interesting......I'd like to try it....probably the totally wrong forum to ask...but do ya wanna share a recipe? Geeez....that question I just asked somehow almost sounds like it should be under this Thread name....Sorry guys.....but now and then I just throw caution to the wind.....Hahahahahah....I'm still laughin about the thread name thing....But Tim really, I'd like to give that raisin pie a try.

Splatt, that's okay, we'll just turn this forum into "Cooking With Tim".:D :D Couple of years ago Tim was good enough to share an old cobbler recipe. Turned out to be just like my long departed grandmother use to make. I had ask several of my family members for that recipe and no one knew how she did it. Thanks again for that one Tim.

Hey Tim, maybe you should get a publisher for that old book of yours.