Trim fasteners on the bay.....

BobT-47P15

A place called Florida Auto Fastener has listed some of those wire style clips they claim will work on the side trim on our Plymouths and Dodges. May have other useful things. Am putting link to their ad here. They are in Altha, FL.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1930s-1940s-1950s-Plymouth-Dodge-moulding-clips_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33654QQihZ012QQitemZ220170071122QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This goes to their store page.....http://stores.ebay.com/Florida-Auto-Fastener

Just FYI.

There's a place out near where I live that sells those and I bought some. The only problem is that they are not made for the trim pieces that are offset, like the front fender trim for example. Though they went in nicely, the trim was off center. So they did no good for me.

You guys are probably already aware of these fastener guys, but I thought I'd toss them out there as well. I've used a couple of them in the past...Hope someone can use them.....

http://www.northlandfasteners.com/MouldingClips/Chry.htm

http://www.rjlautofasteners.com/main2.html

http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/page/page/584919.htm

http://www.oemhardware.ca/oempdf/chrysler.pdf

Gents,

Last time I was in the local NAPA store I saw two swivel racks of nothing but trim fasteners, must have been close to a hundred assortments of them. When the time comes for me to reattach my molding that's where I'll look and I'll bet I'll find exactly the pieces I need without any guess-work.

-Randy

There's a place out near where I live that sells those and I bought some. The only problem is that they are not made for the trim pieces that are offset' date=' like the front fender trim for example. Though they went in nicely, the trim was off center. So they did no good for me.[/quote']

Did you use 3 different size clips for each trim? Purchased some of these last summer locally and noticed that it takes 3 different sized clips like those to fit in the front trim according to the hole locations.

I havent attached mine yet since the car isnt running. Reason I ask if you used the 3 sizes. Wouldnt want the trim to be offset.

No fastener guys were at the swap meet..Resto Spec. quit attending this meet number of events back..did scrounge around for clips for my emblems and such and compared to the hardware store of 28 cents apiece..10 cent there looked real good..got a few for sure..found a person selling the generic cut to fit molding clips for 50 cents..that be 1/2 to 2/3 better than most others selling the same item..got a few of those..

Got me a bunch of conversion pigtails for taking single element bulbs to double elements..50 cents..give away...plus a few more molded plug terminals for quick connecting your lights in and out of the car....

You know Ed, I've heard the same thing.....2 or 3 different sizes for the front or rear fender stainless.....I'd sure like to know which ones. If you ever figure it out, please let me know.....I've gone into Napa and taken one of the stainess peices for the left front fender. They had so many choices, that I ended up leaving with nothing cause I wasn't about to start buying the little boxes of 2 clips each, just to find out I hadn't purchased the right ones. Now, if I could find those trimable universal clips, I might give them a shot. Anyway, if you figure out which ones are needed for the stainless strips on the front and rear fenders....I'd sure appreciate knowing.

Brian

Did you use 3 different size clips for each trim? Purchased some of these last summer locally and noticed that it takes 3 different sized clips like those to fit in the front trim according to the hole locations.

I havent attached mine yet since the car isnt running. Reason I ask if you used the 3 sizes. Wouldnt want the trim to be offset.

Brian, When I got mine I took the trim with me because I had done like you and didnt know the size the first time. Second time I was able to check each universal clip, the green ones with the wire, for each spot I had marked on the trim where the holes were on the fender. I can measure them and get back to you if you like or you could take your trim and physically check them while there or both. I only purchased 6 for the front(both sides) and none for the back. Wish I had now since the fellow who had them passed away last summer and you couldnt find them much cheaper. Just let me know if you need a pic., etc..Ed

You know Ed, I've heard the same thing.....2 or 3 different sizes for the front or rear fender stainless.....I'd sure like to know which ones. If you ever figure it out, please let me know.....I've gone into Napa and taken one of the stainess peices for the left front fender. They had so many choices, that I ended up leaving with nothing cause I wasn't about to start buying the little boxes of 2 clips each, just to find out I hadn't purchased the right ones. Now, if I could find those trimable universal clips, I might give them a shot. Anyway, if you figure out which ones are needed for the stainless strips on the front and rear fenders....I'd sure appreciate knowing.

Brian

Hey Ed,

Thanks....Yeah, I could use a pic....I only have the drivers side front to put on. I did take my trim with me when I went to Napa....but the guy that showed me where the clips were didn't seem like he wanted me to open the little boxes to see if they would fit the trim. So, I just blew it off and figured I'd tackle it another day. But, it's the only piece of fender trim I don't have one and it constantly eats at me. Maybe if you can get me a pic of which ever clips I need just for one side of the front, I can go in to the little guy parts store that I like to use and see if they have them. I'd appreciate it...And thanks.

Brian

Brian, When I got mine I took the trim with me because I had done like you and didnt know the size the first time. Second time I was able to check each universal clip, the green ones with the wire, for each spot I had marked on the trim where the holes were on the fender. I can measure them and get back to you if you like or you could take your trim and physically check them while there or both. I only purchased 6 for the front(both sides) and none for the back. Wish I had now since the fellow who had them passed away last summer and you couldnt find them much cheaper. Just let me know if you need a pic., etc..Ed

Brian, hope this helps. Guess since it was Jan. 2005 (found receipt) when I got these I had forgotton there were 4 and not 3 clips yet 3 different sizes as shown in the picture. The measurements below are close but not dead on. Maybe off a 1/16th or 1/8th.

It would help to know if this was the type clips Darin tried and had trouble centering as well knowing if he used different sizes or tried using the same size. I know it's not possible to use the same size for all the trim because they just wont fit in the under lip of the moulding. Ed

post-87-13585346519864_thumb.jpg

Those P15 front fender trims use these off-center fasteners. Mine is missing one

"wing".

100_5323.jpg

I have used these wire ones on a few places....are universal type purchased at some swap meet years ago.

100_5328.jpg

The middle clip is an original, maybe for hood trim. The silver one is aftermarket one bought somewhere.

100_5337.jpg

These are real rusty, but correct for the door and rear quarter trim. And they attach in this direction.

100_6903.jpg

New ones are constantly listed on ebay, but probably can be bought for

less from other vendors. This group is from mrplymouth1948. Had a starting price of $20, now up to $40.

19_1_b.JPG