Under the headliner

rcl700

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on how best to treat the surface rust on the interior under the old headliner. The bows also will require some attention. Do you recommend installing the interior roof with some kind of foil product for heat and sound? 

I was thinking of using some rust treatment that turns rust to a had black color then maybe rusty metal primer?

I'd also like to use some kind of rust treatment on rusty panels under the car.

What do yall recommend?

》Products I was looking at.

●Ospho OSPHOG; Ospho Metal Treatment Gallon Made by Ospho https://a.co/d/cW16mkV

•Corroseal-82320 Water-Based Rust Converter Metal Primer, Rust Converter - 1 Qt https://a.co/d/aTdNplq

●FDC Rust Converter Ultra, Highly Effective Professional Grade Rust Repair (1 Gallon) https://a.co/d/gK219Ao

Sound mat-

Siless 80 mil (2mm) 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening mat - Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener - Noise Insulation and Vibration Dampening Material (36 sqft) https://a.co/d/a6yGflv

20230421_164725.jpg

20230421_164725.jpg

I have insulated a couple vehicles, and have been really happy with the results.

I would use a angle grinder with a cup bush wire wheel to knock 80% of the rust off, and a hand wire brush to get in corners and edges you can't reach. Clean the area with lightly soapy water and let dry. Use one of the rust converters you listed to treat the surface and especially areas you couldn't wire brush. 

Then apply the sound deadening ( The stuff you listed is a great price currently, and works well) but get one of the HD rollers to apply it.

You don't need 100% coverage for it to be effective. 30-40% will do most of the deadening.  Focus on the flatest, largest parts of the panel. Edges and stamped features dont benefit as much.

I would then use a sheet or two of the mylar/bubblewrap based hot water heater insulation. This can be found in a roll at your local hardware store for around $30. 1 roll will do floor and ceiling, possibly of 2 cars.  You can uses spray adhesive to pin it to your roof, and cut it to fit the entire space so the edges also hold it in. Your headliner bows will further pin it to the roof when liner is installed. This is the true heat barrier, the Butyl rubber foil products only help a little.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it comes out!

IMG_20220423_151426628_HDR.jpg.c7202234c067f64ca69f445f88670c14.jpgIMG_20220513_120033673.jpg.d33dee50786685832ffd1dd964635a7f.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarmerJon said:

I have insulated a couple vehicles, and have been really happy with the results.

I would use a angle grinder with a cup bush wire wheel to knock 80% of the rust off, and a hand wire brush to get in corners and edges you can't reach. Clean the area with lightly soapy water and let dry. Use one of the rust converters you listed to treat the surface and especially areas you couldn't wire brush. 

Then apply the sound deadening ( The stuff you listed is a great price currently, and works well) but get one of the HD rollers to apply it.

You don't need 100% coverage for it to be effective. 30-40% will do most of the deadening.  Focus on the flatest, largest parts of the panel. Edges and stamped features dont benefit as much.

I would then use a sheet or two of the mylar/bubblewrap based hot water heater insulation. This can be found in a roll at your local hardware store for around $30. 1 roll will do floor and ceiling, possibly of 2 cars.  You can uses spray adhesive to pin it to your roof, and cut it to fit the entire space so the edges also hold it in. Your headliner bows will further pin it to the roof when liner is installed. This is the true heat barrier, the Butyl rubber foil products only help a little.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it comes out!

IMG_20220423_151426628_HDR.jpg.c7202234c067f64ca69f445f88670c14.jpgIMG_20220513_120033673.jpg.d33dee50786685832ffd1dd964635a7f.jpg

Great tips. I have used that foil bubble wrap before for a different project. That's a good idea. Did you use 3m spray to stick it up? If not, what type of adhesive works best? 

Where did you get your headliner from? 

I'm in the middle of doing the headliner in my car. I just brushed rust mort on the surface rust and let it sit for a day. Then used glass cleaner before gluing underlay to the ceiling. I used what I had at work. It's about 3/8s thick, gray plastic fiber mat. The glue comes in a 5 gallon can and it's heavy duty stuff. I wouldn't use anything out of a rattle can. It took 73 years to get a little surface rust on the ceiling, I wouldn't fret. I can take a picture tomorrow.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rcl700 said:

Great tips. I have used that foil bubble wrap before for a different project. That's a good idea. Did you use 3m spray to stick it up? If not, what type of adhesive works best? 

Where did you get your headliner from? 

Do not use the 3m sprays. They wont handle the heat when the sun bakes your roof. I learned that the hard way.  Tho expensive, the Weldwood Landau contact cement is the best choice according to the pro upholstery community. Doesnt come in spray cans. A gallon can is the smallest amount. You can get it on Amazon.

2 hours ago, Tired iron said:

Do not use the 3m sprays. They wont handle the heat when the sun bakes your roof. I learned that the hard way.  Tho expensive, the Weldwood Landau contact cement is the best choice according to the pro upholstery community. Doesnt come in spray cans. A gallon can is the smallest amount. You can get it on Amazon.

Thanks for the tip

I had some lead-based paint that I brushed on.  And then some quilted stuff.  Here's a before photo.   What's that batten stuff stuck to the underside of the roof?  Is that from the same mystery roll one of the the guys found in his trunk? 

1076211950_0713002rooffrseat.jpg.b457726271260eb61d43c57a44909d14.jpg 

On 4/23/2023 at 7:28 AM, Tired iron said:

Yes Dap weldwood contact adhesive is the right stuff!

On 4/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, Saskwatch said:

Very nice Torpedo ! 
  What material is that ? Did you glue it directly to the underside? …. Nice job ? 

Hey thanks Saskwatch. I just noticed your reply. Quote me and I will see it for sure. Yes I glued it straight to the metal. I took care of some surface rust with rust mort then used weldwood conact cement. I grabbed what was on the roll. Not premium stuff but it helped immensely. It's plastic fiber underlay material. 3/8ths thick. I believe it's polyester. Just confirmed, 27oz automotive underlay.

Edited by D35 Torpedo
  • Thanks 1