It's not me, it's Harbor Freight and Robert's to the Rescue!

Bob Riding

I've been sidelined for a week on my engine build, likely due to operator error.

I purchased a piston compressor at Harbor Freight, and was having a fun experience installing my pistons. 5 went in smoothly- the 6th wouldn't go, so I hit it harder -what else? I think the rings weren't squeezed enough because the top spring steel ring for the 2nd oiler hung up and was tweaked. For a second I thought that I could possibly salvage it, but realized that that was not only unrealistic, but foolish, as it could mean a later teardown and repair if it failed. 

I looked online at the various venders, but being a somewhat odd size (.040) over, none carried just what I needed. I would apparently have to buy another full set. :(

I decided to call Robert's Motor Parts, as I had talked to Gary Roberts, and purchased the rings from him. He didn't have any singles in inventory, but rummaged through his spare parts bin, located what he thought would work and shipped them off to me. He wouldn't take any money for his trouble or let me even pay for postage. I'm a customer for life!

I just finished installing the last piston and I can move on to the next @keithb7 video. Remember - if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't!

IMG_5237.JPG

• Like 6

You're fortunate you didn't break a ring land.  That style compressor can be a bit finicky to use.  When they don't go, you need to back up, pull the piston back out and reset the compressor.

• Like 1

I have used every ring compressor known to man and I have to say I’ve hated them all.

That is until I bought a Total Performance tapered and slotted Ring made by a piston ring company.

It’s a hard anodized aluminum ring with a slot in it, then its made adjustable with a hose clamp.

I could not find a solid one in the size I needed so I found this one which covered all the possible sizes for this one type of engine.

Pricey at $65 at Summit Racing but….that darn thing works!

It came with no instructions which kind of bothered me. Knowing the skirt is larger than the ring lands I adjusted there.

Lubed up the bore, the compressor and the piston and everything goes together with nearly thumb pressure ( but use the handle of small hammer or mallet ).

Almost effortless ( by comparison )and extremely controllable.

The pistons I was installing were 3 ring pistons and so they are pretty easy. On a 4 ring piston I think I’d spend the money again with even greater satisfaction!

Only issue with these is you can’t use them on a VW or Porsche, you’re stuck with the band and ratchet plier type. Which is a great reason never to work on one of those again. lol

• Haha 1

I fought those Harbor Freight style for years.  I ended up buying a Snap-on Blue Point Rc980.  It's a plier type with 6 different sized rings and CAN be used on VW or Porsche or any other engine with removable cylinders.

I never had any issues with the simple ring compressor shown above when I rebuilt my engine. Like most of us here, we might only have 1 engine rebuild left in us! Lol. This low cost tool gets the job done if you pay a little extra care. Mine may never get used again. ?

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

They work fine for the occasional user.   I had a couple of them, different size ranges, well worn from usage.  I was building engines on a fairly frequent basis so the Snap-on was a really nice upgrade.   When I sold the business and most of the tools and equipment, those band units went, no regrets.  I kept the Snap-on.

• Like 1