How to install windshield trim and rocker panels?

Wood and Steel

Hi all!

I finally got my '51 Plymouth painted and I'm trying to get the trim back on in time to pick up a Christmas tree this weekend. It's all going pretty well, but I'm having a hard time with the front/rear windshield trim, and the rocker panel trim. It looks like the windshield trim goes into a channel on one edge, but I don't see what holds the other edge down. The rocker panel trim I can't figure out at all. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures to follow once it's done!

Edit: I forgot to mention, the clips are still on the rocker panel, I just can't figure out how they work. I took it all apart two or three years ago.

Edited by Wood and Steel

Well what I did on my 52 four door was to make brackets for the rocker trim using the existing holes. The rocker clips on mine were in pretty bad shape and weren’t easily fixable.  I think I used perforated banding material in four places and a screw in the front.  This stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-Perforated-Metal-Hanger-Straps-3-4HS/100396917

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

The upper chrome trim is inserted into the windshield rubber complete with the glass .....then installed to the body opening.

My thinking would be that paying someone with experience and all the tools to remove and do it correctly this go round would be money well spent.

If the glass and seal were not glued or some sealers used yet -  the chances of saving the rubber seal (if new) and Not breaking the very hard to find glass more than makes up for the cost involved . IMO.

DJ

14 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

My thinking would be that paying someone with experience and all the tools to remove and do it correctly this go round would be money well spent.

If the glass and seal were not glued or some sealers used yet -  the chances of saving the rubber seal (if new) and Not breaking the very hard to find glass more than makes up for the cost involved . IMO.

DJ

I’ve been that route. Glass company sent a couple of young guys who could not manage the fit of the rear window. I told them they weren’t following what it said in the manual but they thought they knew better. Next day they came back with the boss who read the manual and had the glass and trim in place in ten minutes. The manual was invaluable. 

Front window did not have the trim but did have the two halves with divider. Again, following the manual, it was done in no time.