To remove bell housing, do you have to first remove fluid drive?

MarcDeSoto

I'm still trying to remove the clutch disc from the pressure plate on my 48 DeSoto.  I decided I'm going to have to remove the FD and clutch to do this.  I am trying to take the bell housing off first, but I don't think I can do that without removeing the FD first.  If I remove the FD, then I would not need to remove the bell housing.  I think the only way to remove the FD is by removing the nuts that hold the FD to the crankshaft.  So my question is can you remove the bell housing before removing the FD or is that impossible?  

18 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I'm still trying to remove the clutch disc from the pressure plate on my 48 DeSoto.  I decided I'm going to have to remove the FD and clutch to do this.  I am trying to take the bell housing off first, but I don't think I can do that without removeing the FD first.  If I remove the FD, then I would not need to remove the bell housing.  I think the only way to remove the FD is by removing the nuts that hold the FD to the crankshaft.  So my question is can you remove the bell housing before removing the FD or is that impossible?  

I'm looking at the manual now. It sounds like you have to remove clutch first.

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

Yeah, if the plates are stuck sounds like you'd have to remove the FD from crankshaft (para 5) and somehow pull the whole assembly out. Question is, does taking the clutch off expose some bolts or nuts you have to hold on the FD.  Let me look at diagram.

You shouldn’t need to remove the FD to remove the clutch. Since you have the trans out you should be able to remove the bolts that attach the clutch to the FD driven plate, then lower the clutch out the bottom of the bell housing. 

Yes, you need to use a 5/8” open end wrench to remove the nuts that attach the FD to the crankshaft. I don’t recall needing a special wrench, but it can’t be too thick. 

And yes, the FD would need to be removed before removing the bell housing. Part of the housing goes down between the FD and the block.. 

• Thanks 1

Before removing the fluid coupling make 4 wood wedges to wedge between the clutch assembly and the coupling. Cut a groove on the outside of the wedges and twist wire around them to immobilize them. You don’t want any side loading on the carbon seal. Be aware of the dowel pins in the bell housing. Drive them into the housing from the engine side just enough to free the bell housing.

• Like 1

Why am I removing the bell housing and why am I removing the FD?  I just removed the clutch and it fell out.  It wasn't rusted onto the pressure plate or if it was it came off easily.  I think I was removing the FD because I wanted to remove what I thought was the rusted-on clutch plate, but that was not true.  So now I'm just going to clean up the pressure plate and reattach the clutch!  Learning as I go!  

41 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:
6 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

You can remove the clutch bell housing pan.  Already did that.  What book are you using?  My shop manual doesn't have directions this detailed.  Now I know that I have to remove the clutch first, before removing the FD.  Thanks.  

I got that manual at rockauto. Pretty fair price, too.

Edited by Tired iron