Power steering and A/C on 218/230

kencombs

I posted on the truck side but decided to post here, maybe for more looks.

I've been debating for months, years actually, on these add ons for my 56 1/2T.  The decision on PS is made, I want it.  AC is  still a maybe.  I'm asking if anyone has mounted the pump and/or compressor on a 218/230 and if any pics are available.   I know some have been posted and provided some insight.  Just asking for as many ideas as possible.

I've been searching for a second pulley to add to my crankshaft.  Either an original or one that can be redrilled.  Haven't found one, yet.   Once I find that unicorn, the next challenge is mounting the pump and compressor.  I'm thinking I can drive the water pump and alternator as is with no changes.  The second pulley would drive the pump and compressor.

Any experience or ideas on mounting?

I am wondering the same thing.  I want AC on my Cambridge.

For the pulley issue I got a harmonic balancer/pulley combo from a Volvo to make my own serpentine belt setup.  I'll get it redrilled, or a new hub made, or maybe an adapter plate whatever works.  Then I can drive a compressor, alternator, water pump, etc easier than trying to find the unicorn dual pulley setup, lol.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1858862&jsn=272

Thanks to all.  Keep the ideas/experiences coming.  I'm gaining some insight into what has worked. 

In general, my germ of an idea is to mount the A/C compressor down low, replacing the generator position, maybe lower if possible.  Then use the compressor's extra mounting tabs to mount the PS pump. Both of those would be driven by a multi-rib belt driven by an add-on pulley in front of the original.  A second belt would drive the water pump and alternator.  That one would use the original, to my 56 Plymouth donor,  narrow v belt pulleys..

The physical mount would be built by adding a mounting plate the attaches under the front two head bolts and the original generator mount holes.  Aluminum would be nice, both for weight and appearance.  But, it would need welding to add the head bolt mounting tabs.  That would complicate things for me, as I don't have that skill for aluminum yet.  So it may be steel.

This is months away as I'm still dealing with other mods and body work.  Just planning at this point.

Plan subject to change as more ideas and experience are offered.

I will be mounting the steering gear and custom column this month or next but the mount and drive will be later. 

15 hours ago, Sniper said:

I am wondering the same thing.  I want AC on my Cambridge.

For the pulley issue I got a harmonic balancer/pulley combo from a Volvo to make my own serpentine belt setup.  I'll get it redrilled, or a new hub made, or maybe an adapter plate whatever works.  Then I can drive a compressor, alternator, water pump, etc easier than trying to find the unicorn dual pulley setup, lol.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1858862&jsn=272

Some of the newer electric vehicles have electric compressors for AC.  

40 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Unfortunately they use a much higher voltage than my 12v system.  And, are controlled by the onboard computer.  So adaptation would be outside my skill set.

44 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yes, I know.  Replaced one on a Civic hybrids this past summer.  It would be easier to put a window unit in the car and run it off a generator in the trunk, lol.

• Haha 1