230 Flathead 6 excessive oil line leakage!

1949 Plymouth

As my engine was at idle all of a sudden it started shaking and it shut down! And I saw a big puddle of oil on my floor so I took a look at the engine and seemed like it was leaking a lot from the oil lines from the canister to the block! The engine completely shut off before I saw the leakage! What could be the problem?? Please help!

6A27B4BA-5D04-4C99-BFD0-0EDCD00C58DD.jpeg

Engines don't work well without oil..

Pull the spark plugs.  See if you can turn the engine over using the fan and belt, or put in third gear and see if you can rock it against the engine`s resistance.  There is a chance that the engine is seized. But if you are lucky, it shut down from overheated internal parts just before seizing.  At the minimum you will probably want to drop the oil pan and inspect a couple of rod and main bearings to ascertain how much damage was 

Edited by greg g

How  big is the puddle on the floor?  That leak looks like an older, slow leak to me.   How much oil is on the dipstick?   Let's don't jump to a conclusion before checking.  The engine quitting may or may not be due to the leak.   

The leak itself could be as simple as a loose fitting.  Cracked line or damaged sealing surfaces are also possible.

If it is empty of oil, I'd pull the pan as suggested.

ted