Coils Springs back in...New stance.

splat1955

Hey Guys,

Put my coils back in the day before yesterday. It took a little longer than taking them out cause I had to do it by myself...actually, I didn't have to, but my daughter was in school (my helper), and just didn't want to wait until today to do it. Anyway, a couple of pics. I didn't wait for the coil spring isolators...as a matter of fact, I called NOSMopar on Thursday and they hadn't even gotten them yet. Had told me it would be 7 to 10 days...I ordered them on the 17th of last month! They didn't tell me when I ordered that they didn't have 'em and that they were waiting for a shipment. Pissed me off. I'm a little less than impressed with them on this being my first order from them.

Anyway, haven't really driven the car with the new spring setup yet cause the seats out and I'm modifying it's mounting location a little. A couple other small projects going on with it. Should have the seats remounted tomorrow and then be able to check out the ride. Oh, without the coil isolators, I think I ended up with nearly a 3 1/2 drop. Anyway, what are your opinions of the stance. If you don't like it, don't be shy, but tell me why. If you do like it or think it should be lower in front, lower in back, etc. Let me know that too cause I'm not sure I wouldn't like another 1/2 inch drop in the front and an 1

1/2" drop out back.

post-1457-13585346314552_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346315138_thumb.jpg

I like it, but like I've said, it's your car, so get it the way you want it so it puts a grin on your face when you look at it. THEN it's just right.

I know what you mean about these suppliers not having items in stock and not saying anything. It's not that I mind them not having it in stock...I mean there's not likely to be a sudden rush on 50 yr old Mopar parts. But they operate like they have a bunch on the shelf and ready to ship. Just tell me the way it is up front.

I agree with you 100% Pat.....You gotta be the one that likes what you do to your ride. I'm liking this car more everyday. And to me, stance is like #1 in the top 5 things that impress me when I see a car....and I just had to do a little adjustment to make me feel better about the way the car sits...and approaches.

And about the suppliers, I won't go on and on, but ya know, they didn't call me and it was nearly 3 weeks by the time I called them to find out they didn't have 'em. I feel the same way, just be straight with me when I'm ordering....I can work around them not having them in stock, but I can't work around what I don't know and they won't tell me.

Anyway, thanks Pat....I'm glad someone here likes it. Hey, even my wife liked it! That's a plus in my book!

I'm the same way Greg.....I don't like to see sparks, but giving a little attitude I think can help any vehicle, but again and like Pat said, it's gotta make me smile. And just having gotten the springs out smoothly following Normspeeds procedure, then getting them back in, by myself....without even a torn knuckle, well, that is half of the enjoyment...but ya should have seen me finishing up, getting the wheels back on...I couldn't get to my floor jack fast enough to get her to the ground...Yeah, I love it! And, ya know, I was planning on having a bumper on it today as well....first thing I started on this morning.....Long story, but I'm pissed about the bumper I recently got. I won't get into it cause I just get hot thinkin about it...don't need that twice in one day. Eeeassy, stress level down.

Kinda hard to tell w/o the bumper. I like a lowered car if its not to radical. Hate dragging stuff going in and out of driveways, etc. Important this is do you like the results???

First chance you get post a side profile pic in the light so you can see the profile of the stance. Hard to tell by these pic's especially without the bumper. Let us know if your ride gets a lot stiffer with the drop too.

My son did a 3" drop on a Mazda truck few years back with blocks and it went down drastically in ride comfort. The 18" wheels could have added to that but it was a killer on the back over speed bumps, etc. Hopefully your car wont have this problem. Some look good low, some dont but that yours as said and all that matters is if you like the outcome.

Good habit to get into when ordering parts is to ask the person your talking with to pull the part and have it in hand so you and he will know it's in stock and not by what the computer says is in stock. Had that happen too many times in the past even when calling locally.

It's good to see a D24 posted ;)

Hey Jim,

Yeah, I think she was pretty right on. One thing she mentioned and I forgot to mention here was that on a spring with more miles on it...the drop after the cut could be a little more than what is figured. In other words, had the spring been brand new and cut using that formula, it's much more accurate, cause the spring still has more oomph. An older spring may drop a little more.

If I take everything into consideration, not using the spring isolator and the spring not being new, I'd say she was write on. I can't find that paper I'd written my initial measurements of the height of the car...But, I expected to drop 3 inches but I got closer to 3 1/2 inch drop. Some of that due to the isolators not being used on the bottom of the spring when I reassembled, and they were, at a minimum, 1/4"...and actually closer to 1/2" ....So, I think Lori and her way of measuring and cutting is a pretty accurate way to go.

Brian

Hey Splat1955

so overall do you think Lori at ESPO has it down to a science when it comes to measuring your springs to figure out how much to cut or did you have to use the trial and error method?

Jim

Hey Ed,

Yeah, today I will get some better pics. I'd have gotten some yesterday, but the wife's car was blocking the front of the car, it was getting late in the day and I had my grinding table set up in front of the car too....But better pics will be today.

Yeah, when I spoke with Greg at NOSMopar, I had asked him to look them up cause there were 2 part #'s for my car, same price, but didn't know which one to order...He looked it up and took the order. I asked him how long till I would have them. He said 7 to 10 days.... I always take that to mean " business days"...no problem. But, I even asked him if I could get them any sooner, and he told me that " he'd pass that info down the line and maybe they could get them out the next day". I figured, he looked them up, told me when they should arrived and even promised to see if he could quicken the process a little, then for sure he must have them in stock. But he didn't...not when I ordered them, and still didn't have them almost 3 weeks later when I cancelled the order. Oh well, I gotta let that go. Anyway, will post some pics later.

Ya know Norm,

You said it wasn't uncommon to run without them, heard the same thing from suspension shop....so, unless I end up with some bad noise from the springs contact with the lower control arm, I'm not even going to sweat it. Besides, with your help, I now know that if I want to put them in, it's really only going to be a little over an hour...maybe less to slide in some isolators.

Oh, and it turns out that the bumper mount I got with my front bumper last week....was the wrong mount....They guy had both a Plymouth and a Dodge mount laying side by side. Guess which one he sent? So, no bumper braket till late next week or the week after.

Hard to tell from the photos but should look good with the bumpers in place.

When you finally install your isolaters it will add just a little to the front height.

Here's a couple of better pics....more of a profile.

Hey Norm, If I remember right, it was just shy of a coil to get the 3"....It was pretty close...I should have measured the part I cut to see how close....but I'd guess it was close to an inch short of a coil.

With these new pics....what do you guys think....Its' fairly low in front, but some of that is cause of tires. But I think it's about right....you almost look at it and wonder if it's been lowered just a little or maybe not. The size tires have a lot to do with the way it looks as well. 205's in front, 235's in the rear.

Got my front seat remounted today with the mounts I made. Allows the sit to sit 3" further back than the stock mounts allowed. Much more comfortable...and didn't really loose anything in the rear area cause these 4 doors are like a living room back there to begin with. Man, it's really coming along.

post-1457-13585346317212_thumb.jpg

post-1457-1358534631763_thumb.jpg

Man Shel, you got the eye! I would have never noticed that! That has got to be the biggest fluke......Honestly, I just removed the covers on the fronts tonight cause I didn't remember for sure if I'd tightened the lug nuts after putting the wheels back on yesterday. So this evening, I yanked the covers, tightened the lugs and that's it. I'll bet the other side isn't matched up like that. For sure they won't stay that way cause like yours, fronts and backs are different sizes...so, sooner or later......What a trip though....not only that they are almost in the same position, but that you noticed it and I took the pic and didn't even see it!

Splat, how did you get those wheel covers to line up like that. My 205's and 235's won't stay lined up:D