Dodge change to 230 motor, questions

Normspeed

From some earlier posts, I gather that domestic Dodges went to the 230 motor in 1942 while Plymouth held out until late 1954. Do I have the Dodge info correct? Overall, speaking of American Dodges, was the 1942 and up 230 the small block variety like the 54 Plymouth block?

I know a guy with a 47 Dodge motor, fluid drive, and other bits and pieces for sale. Just wondering if that motor might be worth grabbing for a future project. I would not be using the fluid drive, I would bolt up a 3 speed. I have a 53 Plymouth bellhousing and flywheel in the parts pile.

It is totally interchangable including the head. You can install the 218 head on the 230 and I have heard that it will raise the compression ratio because it has smaller combustion chambers. 42 was the first year of the 230 for Dodge, I have a 41 Dodge in my 48 Plymouth and it is a 218 cu in engine.

I have had a couple Dodge flatheads in 47 Plymouths.....yes they go right in. The only difference is Plym had studs on rear end of the crankshaft, Dodge has holes for fluid drive. So, you use nuts and bolts to put Plym flywheel on Dodge engine. Or, at least that's what my mechanics did in the past. I have a 57 Plym engine currently with a 50 Dodge head. Don't know if that upped anything or not, but it WILL work. (for whatever that info is worth)

In Canada the Fargo trucks were on the 230 ci 25 inch block, in 1955 they switched to a 251, I happen also have one of these, I do own a 1955 Fargo 1/2 ton frame, complete with running engine, clutch,trans rear end, and fron end is till intact. I am wondering if I should try and find a body for it, maybe a nice future project, would a Dodge body fit on the Fargo frame..........Fred

Yeah Brian, that would be Wesley. Darn it, the last thing I need is more stuff to store and move and spend money on though. Temptation again:) We'll try to hook up soon. For the other forum folks, this is a friend of splat55's. He has a 47 Dodge engine, fluid drive, driveshaft, complete rear end with brakes and rims, also a heater and a radio. All came out of a running car. He's cleaning out his storage and looking to sell the stuff. The kicker is, he lives right here in Glendora! I'm almost afraid to go look.