Serial Number Plate Restoration

tollertdi

Can't find a shop that will restore my Serial Number Plate on my P15.  The only shops I've found create a new one and do not restore the original.  So I've researched making a slide decal and have bought the sunnyscopa kit.

Can someone post a picture of their Serial Number Plate located on the drivers side front door jam?  I need to capture the black background with the Serial Number lettering as mine is partially rubbed off.   Please provide a picture of your serial number plate with a straight-on shot as much as possible.  I'm going to photoshop the picture then convert it to a decal using sunnyscopa decal paper.

Thanks for your help. 

Don't know if this is what you want but you can see where the black field was formatted and the fonts (1948 P15). I am assuming you aren't going to copy my serial number.......   ?

serial-number.jpg.89ec837cb02a57433c07beb1fe275358.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

hey I found this on eBAY might be exactly what you are looking for and they etch in the number with free shipping.

PREMIUM ENGRAVED SERIAL NUMBER PLATE DATA IDENTIFICATION VEHICLE ID TAG VIN  use this heading to find the item.  cost is $30 and then you just screw it on the car and have not stamping and you are ready to go.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

hey I found this on eBAY might be exactly what you are looking for and they etch in the number with free shipping.

PREMIUM ENGRAVED SERIAL NUMBER PLATE DATA IDENTIFICATION VEHICLE ID TAG VIN  use this heading to find the item.  cost is $30 and then you just screw it on the car and have not stamping and you are ready to go.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I don't see a link in your post. Is it this one?

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

I don't see a link in your post. Is it this one?

Yes that is one but if you copied the title premium engraved serial number plate and did a search on that you would also get another seller with the same plate for sale.

Rich Hartung

Yes, Sam is correct.  I've already bought a 1X4 and there's nothing I can do with it.  I was thinking I could scan it in and shrink it down in Photoshop, but that won't work.

Anyone else have a serial number tag on their car with a more complete black background?

1 hour ago, tollertdi said:

Yes, Sam is correct.  I've already bought a 1X4 and there's nothing I can do with it.  I was thinking I could scan it in and shrink it down in Photoshop, but that won't work.

Anyone else have a serial number tag on their car with a more complete black background?

I'll see if I can create a Photoshop file for you from my tag photo.

Ok, see if this is any help, it is a jpeg sized at 1" x 3" @ 150 dpi (download this link). The font and serial box are the same dimension as my P15 tag.

serial-tag.jpg.7d67c4d385b4d501784df4621344e1d8.jpg

Here is a file with only the black background, overlay this link over a blank piece of 1x3 stainless and you will have a serial tag ready for engraving:

serial-tag-2.jpg.c212d581f70c832ca45f3fbfa455befb.jpg

serial-number.jpg.5d0a133048c507db05f260684a29e00e.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Sam, thanks for the photoshop'd ID plate.  I'm looking for more of a concourse restoration, so I will not be able to use this.  

Attached are some more pristine ID plate pictures for building a decal, but unfortunately they are not "head on" shots so I can't use any of them.

Can anyone e lse take a head-on shot picture of a more pristine P15 Serial ID plate?

Serial Plate1.jpg

Serial Plate2.jpg

Serial Plate3.jpg

Serial Plate4.jpg

• 1 month later...

I very painstakingly measured all the dimensions on my shabby serial plate with my calipers.  Hopefully the last attachment from Sam can be modified to reflect the actual plate.  Thanks all for helping me.  Attached is the dimensioned P15 Serial ID plate.1242442707_SerialPlateDimensions.jpg.6f4e2635f9f46470bf1b849bba3203b4.jpg