Oil leak

fargo52

My Whole objective was to clean up the engine fix some leaks make a few little modifications and ultimately stop the truck from leaking oil on my garage floor I thought I was successful only to have noticed an oil leak ,nothing to do with the gaskets that I change but instead coming out through the side of the oil pan where the dipstick is welded into it , 

IMG_7308.JPG

I haven't even had a chance to start the engine so I have two choices remove the oil pan weld up the entire area put the oil pan back on hope I don't have a leak . Or get the engine running make sure I don't have any other leaks then do the repair then , or drain  the oil clean the Area and use a product called "seal all "around the exterior of the area..why are the  engine gods punishing me for wanting to prolong this motors life!!!  WHY ???

IMG_7306.JPG

Both Hank and I had to do the same repair to our sump. Hank used EZ Weld (1st attached photo) and I used a product called QuikSteel (2nd photo). I believe that sealants are easier to fix the leak in that area as engine oil gets caught between the surfaces and makes it hard for any weld to stick. We both used our Dremel tool with the wire brush attachment to clean up the area. I gave the area a clean with Acetone before applying the sealant. I cleaned up my repair (with a small Dremel sanding attachment) before the black paint was applied and I reckon that anyone would be hard-pressed to see it now. 

I was on the same mission as you a while back trying to stop ALL of the oil leaks in my 52 truck. I was mostly successful (apart from a present annoying sump plug leak).

I find these truck engines share a similar feature to the old English motorcycles ... "when it stops dripping you're out of oil"

Hanks sump1.JPG

Davs sump1.JPG

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 2

I am thinking when I get some spare time I would like to compile a list and start a thread on things you need to check and do before and during any  engine work ,I think it will be very beneficial to some newbies to this engine.

I do not think welding or brazing will be necessary to stop the leaks.  This area is above the static oil capacity line, so it is not submerged in fluid, meaning it does not have static fluid pressure behind it.  The oil leaking out is what has been splashed and sloshed onto this vertical surface, so it is seeping thru what appears to be a spot welded flange.  My suggestion is to run the engine to see what other problems pop up...then, when it's time for that 1st oil change or ya have to tear into the engine for some other problem, then is the time to fix this leak with some sort of flexible sealant like black rtv on the inside of the pan (be neat by applying a thin bead at the joint that has been thoroughly cleaned).  Think of it as the first repair to make on this truck after it was restored... cuz these old beasts are in no way maintenance free :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
  • Like 1