New 1948 Dodge owner...

Iammister

Welcome to the Forum, and to D24 ownership!  You car is indeed a "Custom".  The stainless trim spear on the rear fenders, and brightwork around the windows are the external giveaways.  There are some trim upgrades in the interior as  well.  Otherwise, exactly the same as a "Deluxe".  All the glass except the rear window are easy to find, they're just flat safety glass.  I went to a local glass shop in El Paso to have the side windows done on ours, that was over 20 years ago, they're still holding up, even with all the freeze-thaw they've been enduring the past few years.  Just had to provide one of the old ones for a pattern.  We'll be doing the front windshields this winter.  In today's information age many shops have access to patterns over the internet so you may not have to provide a pattern for them.  I've always like the fit and quality of Steele Rubber products.  Enjoy your car, and this forum is a wonderful resource, it's (rather the denizens thereof) saved my bacon a few times, lots of knowledgeable folks and information here.  I'll warn ya that photos are quasi-mandatory, tho... 

Welcome.  All glass except rear glass is flat.  If you have one piece, you have a template for its opposite partner.  Try clesters for rubber parts.  Good quality (well it was 12 years ago) decent pricing, still soft and pliably after those years.

lammister,

Very nice looking car. Personally, I liked the swamp cooler. I think it gave the car that “old timey” persona, and matched the vintage of the car, but that’s just my opinion. The material you refer to is a carpet-like material called

“excelsior”, which is basically pads made of wood wool. My wife and I have a ’46 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Club Coupe, and I’ve tho’t that a swamp cooler/torpedo cooler would like good on the passenger door – again giving it the period-matching persona of the car. So, if you’re interested in parting with yours, and the price is reasonable, I’d be interested in visiting with you about it. As you’re on the “left coast”, and I’m on the “right coast”, checking it out in person maybe an issue.

I agree with casper50 about sourcing the glass. I’ve used Service Auto Glass, which is a nation-wide company, and have had absolutely no problems. Taking the original glass to them, and they simply cut a new piece using the old one as a pattern. They used safety glass for the flat pieces, (it’s almost impossible to cut tempered glass, as it manufactured with an “under stress” condition, and cutting tends to release that stress, and the piece shatters into pea-sized pieces. The safety plate glass is two pieces with a piece of clear plastic between them, and it’s manufactured under pressure and high heat. If broken, it won’t shatter, but rather – the plastic sheet will hold the shards to it, thus preventing injury. And, more importantly – 3 points: 1) a glass shop is local, thus convenient;  2) you can usually get various tints; and 3) the cost is MUCH less than buying the glass pre-cut from some catalogue.

I also agree with Andydodge about Steele Rubber. Their stuff does leave something to be desired. The pieces I used for another guy’s car was “gatored” (badly wrinkled) resultant to the way they stuffed into their plastic bags for storage. I eventually got it to look good, but not without a lot of effort, swearing, etc. I’ve had much better luck with a company in Wichita, Kansas, called Wichita Trimming. I used them when I lived there, and owned a custom auto body/paint shop (I wasn’t always a doctor . . .). They’re extremely nice and helpful folks.

For what it’s worth, just my input . . . .  Thx.

Anyone can respond to this, if they would – would a 6v led bulbs work with a 6v neg ground? Further, would you use a white led, or a red one?

Related – I’ve heard that the single brake lite on the trunk can be problematic, as people today aren’t used to only one lite warning of a slow-down. When I rewired our car, I made the tail lites act a brake lites, too, by changing the sockets from single pole to dual pole sockets, and changing bulbs accordingly. Now, I’ve got three lites lit up when I push the brake pedal. I wanted something simple for turn signals, so I put dual-contact sockets in the front park lite housing, replacing the single-contact sockets, and used white bulbs (I just didn’t think amber would look all that good on an old car like this – again, personal opinion). And, on the rear, I used a pair of side-marker lites from a late-60’s Chrysler product, to make the wiring simpler. They’re small, unobtrusive, about the same size of the reflectors beneath the tail lamp lenses, they’re quite bright and visible when actuated, and they look “semi-stock”.

Thx.

Welcome to this forum. Nice car. I had a '48 Dodge sedan like yours and these are really nice cars. I had a Fulton outside sun-visor and it really looked right at home on this car. When we got in slow stop and go traffic, I left it in second gear until the line started moving again. I like the blue color on your car and the wheel covers with the whitewalls are sharp looking.:)

John R

• Like 1