It's arrived in the UK

Hi everyone

I've been reading this forum for a few months now but never posted anything until now.

I have just received delivery of my 1945 Pickup. It may not be to the purists taste but hey it's a Dodge and it was saved from the scrapyard.

It's running a 1955 Massey combine engine with a low pressure turbo mated to T5 transmission.

Volare rear end which I need to fabricate some sort of e brake. Very please with it so far just need to panel out the interior and sort out seals for the doors and windows etc.

post-9046-0-36827400-1463324645_thumb.jpeg

post-9046-0-47391000-1463324676_thumb.jpeg

post-9046-0-05152900-1463324732_thumb.png

• Like 4

Very Kool, and turbo to boot.

Please do a thread or even this thread, for your progress and performance reports.

Looking forward to this, have you pondered an ebrake scheme yet?

From across the pond in British North America....

Yeh it's really cool sounds like a big rig with the blow off valve on the turbo.

The previous owner sent me some of the original dodge side emblems which were very rusty.

I cleaned them up then nickel plated them followed by a copper plate then a clear coat. Thought they might look quite nice on the side of the hood.

The only other thing I've done is greased the winder mechs for the Windows as they were drier than Ghandi's flip flops!post-9046-0-15476200-1463339618_thumb.jpegpost-9046-0-25866200-1463339645_thumb.jpeg

With regards to the e brake I think I will have to use something from maybe a kit car company. I have a rough idea of something simple like on a Chevy Apache as I've had 2 of them and know how they work.

Interesting turbo set up.  Were it mine I think I would reroute  the turbo inlet pipe or at minimum put a shield of some sort between it and the carb.  Especially with the bonnet on, I would think the carb would benefit from even a marginally  cooler environment.  Do you know what max boost is? What is the brand of the carb?

Edited by greg g

Yeh I know what you mean about the temps around the carb maybe a heat shield might be a good idea. However it does run really smooth. The pressure is only around 4psi. It just gives a nice little bit of a poke to the motor. I will be cleaning the exhaust and manifold up as they are a bit nasty looking at the moment.

Yeh I know what you mean about the temps around the carb maybe a heat shield might be a good idea. However it does run really smooth. The pressure is only around 4psi. It just gives a nice little bit of a poke to the motor. I will be cleaning the exhaust and manifold up as they are a bit nasty looking at the moment.

I certainly am no expert on turbos, but with low boost, and the way you are setup, might not be a problem.

You will find out soon enough once you are on the road on a regular basis burning petrol.

You don't get hot weather in England do you.....LOL

I certainly am no expert on turbos, but with low boost, and the way you are setup, might not be a problem.

You will find out soon enough once you are on the road on a regular basis burning petrol.

You don't get hot weather in England do you.....LOL

It runs really well super smooth the power is really linear. I left it running on the drive for about 20 mins and it sat at 185.

Hey the weather got to 81F last weekend!

It runs really well super smooth the power is really linear. I left it running on the drive for about 20 mins and it sat at 185.

Hey the weather got to 81F last weekend!

Yes well idling on the driveway when it is hot out, does not allow for much air flow through the rad, and with not engine load either.

I am sure it will run at a decent temp, you might have a 180 t/stat in this engine too, or perhaps no t/stat.

81 f, thats warm, is that unusual for your are this time of the year?

Yes well idling on the driveway when it is hot out, does not allow for much air flow through the rad, and with not engine load either.

I am sure it will run at a decent temp, you might have a 180 t/stat in this engine too, or perhaps no t/stat.

81 f, thats warm, is that unusual for your are this time of the year?

Yeh it is a bit on the warm side for this time of year. It's normally around 65f. It's normally June,July and August that get high 70s to 80f.

The English weather has always been a little crazy in spring, the week before it was snowing!

What's sort of normal operating temps should I expect?

Yeh it is a bit on the warm side for this time of year. It's normally around 65f. It's normally June,July and August that get high 70s to 80f.

The English weather has always been a little crazy in spring, the week before it was snowing!

What's sort of normal operating temps should I expect?

cooler weather, 160 t/stat most likely 160 to 170, 180 t/stat 180-190, this is all dependent, on outside ambient temps, engine load, highway driving high speeds, or crawling along in city traffic. Also the condition of the entire cooling system will be key.

Get your truck n the road, watch the temp gauge and oil pressure, and report back what you discover, no point in chasing a problem right now that most likely does not exist.

If you think it runs a little too warm, once you have it on the road, you can address it then.

What part of the USA did this truck come from?

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

cooler weather, 160 t/stat most likely 160 to 170, 180 t/stat 180-190, this is all dependent, on outside ambient temps, engine load, highway driving high speeds, or crawling along in city traffic. Also the condition of the entire cooling system will be key.

Get your truck n the road, watch the temp gauge and oil pressure, and report back what you discover, no point in chasing a problem right now that most likely does not exist.

If you think it runs a little too warm, once you have it on the road, you can address it then.

What part of the USA did this truck come from?

I don't think it's running too hot I was just wondering what the average and what's on the wrong side of hot.

It came from Kansas. Rescued from a junk yard in 2008 which it had sat since the 60s I've even got the original Kansas 1945 license plate for it. I have also got a load of build pics I will put up sometime as well.

I don't think it's running too hot I was just wondering what the average and what's on the wrong side of hot.

It came from Kansas. Rescued from a junk yard in 2008 which it had sat since the 60s I've even got the original Kansas 1945 license plate for it. I have also got a load of build pics I will put up sometime as well.

h that's good, going over 200 would be a cause for concern, yours will most likely run 165-180 I am bettin on.

The state of Kansas is approximately 800 miles due south of where I live our summers here can be hot and humid, Kansas is a lot hotter and more humid than us, so the truck temp was probably no issue...ps we can be upwards of 90f here and humid in summer, average 80 extremes 95-100 humidex to 100 every summer at least for a short while

h that's good, going over 200 would be a cause for concern, yours will most likely run 165-180 I am bettin on.

The state of Kansas is approximately 800 miles due south of where I live our summers here can be hot and humid, Kansas is a lot hotter and more humid than us, so the truck temp was probably no issue...ps we can be upwards of 90f here and humid in summer, average 80 extremes 95-100 humidex to 100 every summer at least for a short while

Yeh I think I should be ok then. Once about every ten years or so towards London it has reached 99F and I'm 250 miles north of there!

the issue is not so much running temp but temps at the float bowl.  Might be high enough to cause fuel perculation and excessive evaporation of gas in the bowl making for hot start issues.  Watch for wetness at the throttle butter fly shaft after shut down.

the issue is not so much running temp but temps at the float bowl.  Might be high enough to cause fuel perculation and excessive evaporation of gas in the bowl making for hot start issues.  Watch for wetness at the throttle butter fly shaft after shut down.

Good idea, not sure if the UK petrol is full of corn or not.

I know we have up to 10% in regular, 5% in mid grade and none in premium, in this province.

I think he needs to get it on the road and see whats what..

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Here's a little video my son filmed just after it was taken off the transporter

click on this one as well it won't embed on to the post

I'll get some better ones when I get chance.

Edited by Jamiejimbob
  • Like 1