Finally, it runs!!

To All:

After 4+ years of work sandwiched between farm work, orchard work, building maintenance, etc., my son and I finally started my '51 B3C and it runs!! We set the points, adjusted the timing, put 5 gal. of fuel in the tank and hit the starter. Much to my surprise it started on the first turn of the engine and produced 40 psi oil pressure, 160 deg. water temp., and 17-18 in. Hg. vacuum, a good charging rate, and it purrs like a kitten. I backed it out of the shop and ran it around the farm for a bit in first and second gear and it stops.

After I got it back in the shop the fuel bowl attached to the carb started spraying fuel on the engine (not a good thing). I shut it down, cleaned up the fuel (fortunately no fire) and determined that one of the four tapped holes for the bowl cover is stripped. I contacted Mark Fritsche (ggdad1951) about a replacement. He thinks he may have one but he won't know for sure until he completes his move into his new house.

I have attached several photos of the grand day.

Barry

IMG_2530.JPG   IMG_2535.JPG   IMG_2536.JPG   IMG_2538.JPG

post-2952-0-30752600-1440093659_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-04034700-1440093697_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-99368200-1440093729_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-02472500-1440093763_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

wow, looking awesome!  Just so you know I have scheduled my parts move for Sept 5th, so if you want to find a filter prior to that I won't be upset if you do.  I understand wanting to get him on the road ASAP!

Good news.  Nice truck !  I noticed from your last photo that the adjustable rear view arm is missing. I have one if you need it for the cost of postage.

attachicon.gifMVC-003F.JPG

Reg:

Thanks for the offer, but I have both mirror arms. I just haven't mounted them because they would get in the way as I move around the truck. Thanks again.

Barry

• Like 1

Barry,

It sure looks like a top quality build.

Many more miles,

Hank  :)

P.S. Davin says I need to suck it up an get my hubcaps on. We don't have any grassy fields and dirt roads here and I hate the sound of a hub cab rolling along side a running vehicle. I want to first test the the hub cab holding ability of each wheel while its off the truck and get used to removing/replacing my hub caps without scratching everything up..

IMG_20150729_174913_079_zpsnnu8qedb.jpg

When you assemble your bed, I recommend that you have an uncut 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood. to slip into the bed to assure it is square as you finalize the assembly. You'll be amazed at how well our little trucks stack plywood compared to newer model trucks.

When you assemble your bed, I recommend that you have an uncut 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood. to slip into the bed to assure it is square as you finalize the assembly. You'll be amazed at how well our little trucks stack plywood compared to newer model trucks.

or just measure corner to corner with a tape measure...:P

In theory... but not the same as sliding a factory edge square piece just below the lip of the track attached to the bedsides.

Hank  :)

P.S. Mark I'm Pm'ing you

it's the whole SLIDING something on my fresh paint that would get me!

Hank;

A 4 x 8 sheet might work in one of those silly little 1/2 ton beds.......but it ain't going to cut it in a 3/4 ton bed. They are wider and have wheel wells.

And oh yes this is one of those size matters situations. 

The larger beds are best assembled on saw horses  Square it all up and check the distances on the mounting points. My 3/4 ton has 8 mounting points. Some only 6? Once trued up 4 people can easily set it in place. Worked quite well for me. And no scratches either.

Jeff

Hank;

A 4 x 8 sheet might work in one of those silly little 1/2 ton beds.......but it ain't going to cut it in a 3/4 ton bed. They are wider and have wheel wells.

And oh yes this is one of those size matters situations. 

The larger beds are best assembled on saw horses  Square it all up and check the distances on the mounting points. My 3/4 ton has 8 mounting points. Some only 6? Once trued up 4 people can easily set it in place. Worked quite well for me. And no scratches either.

Jeff

you mean like this?  :D

http://p15-d24.com/topic/30202-building-your-own-wood-bed/?hl=%2Bbuilding+%2Bwood+%2Bbed