Vintage Winter Beater Daily Driver Thread

55 Fargo

Hi all, was on the HAMB and noticed a thread dedicated to those who drive there vintage classis antique cars and/or trucks. Now not being specific to any brand or years, just anything from 1920s to 1980s.

There were a number of posts and some interesting comments from Guys in southern areas as well as guys in the snowbelt and Canada.

So lets here from those with daily driver vintage cars and trucks motorcycles beaters etc. Lets see some pictures too, stories, and methods of keeping your old vintage beater from rotting away on salty roads....

Well, mine is and will continue to be (for a while) a 2001 Dodge 1500 4X4 pickup.  Certainly not "vintage" by any means, but some guy in the Home Depot parking lot told me I have "..a good lookin' old Dodge" the other day.  Couldn't decide whether to appreciate the comment or be offended...seems like just a little while ago I bought it new.

• Like 1

I used to drive a '62 Falcon back in the '90s.  I tried to convince "Grandpa" to buy a rough but drivable '60 Falcon for his grandson to drive in 15 years to continue the tradition.  With mine all of the paint matched, this '60 Falcon that I saw didn't have a single piece of sheet metal that matched another.  "Grandpa" declined.  #1 son may end up with my '98 Dakota.  Lots of dents already, and a 4 cylinder with no power.

I have a 1994 CHevy Lumina that has been in the family since new. Yes I am sorry to mention Chevy, Bow Tie, on this forum. The car came from my Aunt and was passed to my mom with 17K original miles on it. It has been passed to both of my daughters to learn to drive and both have taken it to college.  The youngest is a freshman in college now. The car currently has 65K original miles on the car.  It is a gray 4 door sedan and has been a great college car for my kids. So now it is 21 years old. 4 more and I can tag it as antique her in PA. Hopefully 3 more years of college use and then 1 year of just running it. 

Nothing great to look at but it is not many times when a car lasts that long and stays with in the family.  No rot out just faded paint but who cares its a survivor.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Yeah, Dan.........it's hard to think that a truck you bought new is now 14 years old, and a "nice looking old Dodge" to someone

nowadays.  

Capt. Neon mentioned a 60 and a 61 Falcon -- which reminded me that a friend who lives in this part of the country, recently

purchased a 1961 Falcon to build as a "hotrod".  He has since discovered parts for those are very difficult to come by....as it

is missing many things, including seats and the entire interior, plus many body pieces.  (It was a hull....and the price was

fairly "right")  

So....if anyone of you knows where there are any 61 Falcons or parts for sale, please PM me and I will pass

the information on.   Now -- back to the original theme of the post.

I have had some old cars in years past that got driven in winter---snow, ice, etc.    But not the Plymouth.  It stays in

the garage until nice weather arrives.  My late model Dodge Caravan is the daily driver now.  

DSC09240.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Sounds like this thread is getting off topic. Fargos-Go-Far mentioned 1920's-1980's (I would think 60's at the latest, but not my thread). Some of these posts should be in the "daily driver" threads.

Edited by deathbound
  • Like 1

Sounds like this thread is getting off topic. Fargos-Go-Far mentioned 1920's-1980's (I would think 60's at the latest, but not my thread). Some of these posts should be in the "daily driver" threads.

Hey DB, yup my intention was for old stuff, you know maybe in the 70s, 80s at the very latest.

I have a winter beater/daily driver 2005 Dodge Caravan, that I have owned from mile 32, but it doesn't belong in this thread.

I was hoping to see those with old beater stuff from the 60s back, but do not want to Pohleece anyone...

My first Driftbuster or Beater with a heater, as my brothers and I called them growing up in Michigan was actually very nice 1976 Plyouth Fury we got for $300 from a little old lady at Church because she couldn't back it out of her tiny garage anymore . AM radio in high school listening to Rush Limbaugh, 'cause its all we could get.  We had a lot of fun in "Big Red" as we called it over the years.  What a great car, we piled a bunch of people in it one summer and drove it over to Lake Michigan and got it stuck in the sand.  Took everything we had for 5 of us to push it enough to get any traction.

• Like 1