Tool to install crankshaft timing gear and hub

PhilW

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and glad to be here. I've got a 49 Plymouth with a 218. I'm replacing the timing chain and was wondering if there was work around on reinstalling the crankshaft gear and crank hub. The manual refers to a C-522 which I'm sure is impossible to find.

Thanks

Thanks, but how do I install the crankshaft sprocket on which the timing chain sits. I haven't got it off yet but the kit I bought included both the cam and crankshaft sprockets and the chain was really stretched so I think that both need to be replaced. Would I just slip the new sprocket on and then then gently tap into place using something a little bigger in circumference than the crankshaft?

Thanks!

You will need at least a 2 jaw gear puller to remove the crank gear..  They are on tight

I use  either 2 or 3 jaw posi-lok pullers when removing these type of crank gears.

To install the gear back on the crank snout I use a special threaded installation tool that pushes the gear back on the crank.

I suppose you could bang it on with a steel tube or big deep socket :eek:....I wouldn't..  thats hard on the crank thrust bearing surface.

Bob

post-302-0-28566000-1423452287_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-48273500-1423452328_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-11808300-1423452478_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Posi locks are nice and work well but I've never found them at a tool rental and they're pretty pricey for a one time application.  You may need to head to your local machinist for removal and installation.

Thanks Bob, these are great pictures. This is extremely helpful. Where would I be able to get a C-49 installation tool? Also, is that a large round cap bolt inserted in the crank snout that the puller is pushing against?

Thanks so much!

Phil

I made my install tool years ago.

In my previous life I removed and installed many timing gears from VW crankshafts. The 3 jaw puller will work well, just be careful not to damage the teeth. A little heat on the gear and lube on the interface just prior to the pull will help a lot. I actually had my brother, who was a machinist, make me a special fixture for the gear removal. It uses a machined plate that provided about 180 degree contact behind the gear in place of the 3 jaws. Installation is much easier. I just heated the gear in an oil bath on the stove to about 300 degrees F and it slides right on. You may want to keep some tension on it as it cools to prevent it from pulling back off of the shoulder. When I did the VW set up the crank was out and was sitting vertical so there was no issue.