318 poly

rockin rebel

Okay.......so where do I collect my money?...........I have had a set of Edelbrock Alloy Rocker Covers on my 318 Poly since about 1974........they are now VERY hard to find, however Allan Fountain here in Oz makes repops of the Edelbrock cover without the Edelbrock script............I've attached a couple of pics of the engine in my 1940 Dodge, plus a very poor pic I took in the early 70's when I had the 1st twin 4 intake with a pair of Offy cross ram adaptors and twin 600 Holleys,  and also the twin 4 intake that's slated for it..............and even a pic of the 1/25th scale resin 318 Poly I mastered and had cast..............poly?......poly want a cracker?..........lol...........regards, andyd 

post-612-0-17684600-1418456503_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-45846000-1418456564_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-38366700-1418456605_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-02973200-1418456650_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-00700600-1418456702_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The new 318Poly covers, as well as a new intake manifold, are available from Chrysler Power Magazine (available at your local news stand).

Top quality stuff boys and girls. Manifold is cast in the same foundry as the Mopar Performance aluminum 426Hemi blocks. Nuff said.

Guess I got egg,....even omelet on my face.  Glad no one stepped up to the bet ahead of time.  However, some please help me see my error.  Those sure don't look like Poly valve covers to me.  What am I missing?  :confused:  

mrwrstory, on 13 Dec 2014 - 4:24 PM, said:

Guess I got egg,....even omelet on my face.  Glad no one stepped up to the bet ahead of time.  However, some please help me see my error.  Those sure don't look like Poly valve covers to me.  What am I missing?  :confused:  

I just snagged this photo of poly covers off the interweb.

post-16-0-01799600-1418507551_thumb.jpg

Bill..........I posted 15minutes after you with 4 pics of my Poly rocker covers..........don't I get a look in?............lol.........forgot to post the pic of the 1/25th scale 1957/58 Plymouth 318 DV800 resin engine that I mastered...so here it is, apologies for the small pic..........and another pic of the 1:1 engine in my Dodge........and I should have some contact details for the repoped Rocker Covers from here in Oz in a day or 2.........and someone asked about the 2 and 3 bolt cover differences.........I do not know the exact reason for the differences other than I think it maybe a factory "improvement" or update, however both 2 and 3 hole covers interchange, the only obvious problem in using a 3 hole cover when the head had a 2 hole cover is sealing the middle hole with a rubber grommet or bolt & nut or just drilling and tapping the 5/16th UNC hole in the centre rocker shaft boss........all the Edelbrock Alloy covers come with the 3 bolt holes............regards, andyd.. 

post-612-0-32258500-1418537117_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-56030800-1418537394_thumb.jpg

they have  3  different  types of finned  valve  covers for the  poly,,  and a new  high  flow  intake  mainfold,,,aluminum heads may  be  on the way if  enough  interest,,,i think its way  over due for a motor  not many  ever  experimented with but has tons  of  power  in stock  form,,,i just think its way too late,,lots of those engines got tosssed,,

google  chrysler power  it will come up,,  i ust  started  a new subscription  to the  magazine but dont have  oen  here handy to get you the info  till the next oen  comes,,,,

I'm learnin stuff every day.  In the case of the Polys, I'll learn by osmosis as opposed to actual study as my limited brain is currently occupied by the Hemi and doing all I can to make that a successful venture. 

I know the 318 Poly is an entirely diff. engine than the 315.  Did it evolve into larger displacements as most engines did?

Bill.......nope, the only Plymouth Polys that I am aware of are the 301/313 and 318 Poly that have the "sawtoothed" rocker cover......the 1955/56 Plymouth Poly had more of a sculpted or curved rocker cover and those engines had a different style intake with a separate valley cover under the intake whereas the 1957-66 301/313/318's had the intake that covered the valley.........osmosis?...........lol..........works for me.......lol........andyd  

Andydodge, on 14 Dec 2014 - 3:54 PM, said:

Bill.......nope, the only Plymouth Polys that I am aware of are the 301/313 and 318 Poly that have the "sawtoothed" rocker cover......the 1955/56 Plymouth Poly had more of a sculpted or curved rocker cover and those engines had a different style intake with a separate valley cover under the intake whereas the 1957-66 301/313/318's had the intake that covered the valley.........osmosis?...........lol..........works for me.......lol........andyd  

you seem to have forgotten the 277 CI, first of the poly block...

Also forgotten are the 303 and 326........(and a reminder to those just getting into the 50's v-8 engines, the 301 Plymouth is NOT the same as the Chrysler 301.) Some of the folks doing 'work' on the old "A" engine have come up with well over 400 inches and 400 hp.

Not too bad for an old grocery-getter.

The head design is the key to everything.

am thinking the 303 and 313 were Canadian models..the 326 was a one of for Dodge  I think in 58...finding info on these forgotten warbirds is rough..they were very smooth and powerful engines for their day, they were the backbone of Chrysler...the B engine when introduced was all the rage and took the glory and never relented..they dominate the Mopar street scene still yet at every event, muscle forum and tire kicking/liar's fest..

Thanks Tim.........I decided not to go and check the reference material......lol.........and rely on my memory......now what was I relying on again?.............lol..............btw Lloyd.......did you check your PM's......regards, andyd 

Apparently the whole later model Poly thing went right past me.  1960 was about the time I was looking at other things like school, a job and a family.  The differentiation between "sculpted" and "saw tooth" is something I've never seen or heard 'tho it is very appropriate.  I have always gotten a kick outta folks looking at my engine and thinking my it was a 348/409  Chev. or a Studebaker.  A few folks have recognized mine as a Plymouth while my valve covers actually came off a '56 315 Dodge that I converted to a 325 Hemi.

changed my mind about responding on Plymouth's comment but couldn't figger how to delete the "quote" box  :angry:

Edited by mrwrstory

My '55 C-3-B8 has a 259 Poly Super Red Ram V-8.  Most of the sales info and a lot of published info indicates that the '54 & '55's had 241 Hemi's but according to Don Bunn's book they ran out of Hemi's and used what was available.  The T137 web site decoding of my VIN shows the 259 was installed at the factory.  Sorry about the small picture size, I haven't figured out how to make them bigger - tried Photobucket, but it messed up my computer.

post-993-0-32174300-1418694983_thumb.jpg

do not confuse the early hemi (rear distributor engines) with the poly...the 259 is actually listed as a Dodge 260 in my book....the Mopar line up  for the early hemi engines were no less than 14 different displacements in US across the Chrysler, Desoto and Dodge lineup

the 260 had 3.56 bore times a 3.25 stroke and in 55 would be stock 8.5 CR and was the smallest rod journal of the line up

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Yep.........us Plymouth afficiandos appreciate that Plymouth kept the Poly line unsullied by the use of Hemi heads etc being able to be substituted for the Polys like what was available in the Chrysler, Desoto and Dodge lines..........we are also tightwads..lol...........seriously tho the early 1955/56 "sculpted" Plymouth 241, 259, 270 and 277 were never available here in Oz, the 1st Mopar V8 used in Oz was the 303 Poly in the 1957 AP1 Chrysler Royal.........anyway back to my corner I go..........lol........andyd