Scratch built '52 Dodge B3b Rear Fender

1952B3b23

Metal moves around a lot with the oxy welding.  It's been years since I've done any of it.  It's movement is similar to the start of shrinking metal with a torch where it swells up with the initial heat, and since you need more heat than that to get a puddle, it moves even more.  Wider haz, very workable, easy to planish, like your TIG, you deal with the shrinkage as it occurs, stretching the seam back to it's neutral position. 

• Like 1

From everything I've Only read- once you paid the admission price of buying a tig and spent some time learning it, you'll never go back to gas or mig for body sheet metal work--- now only when I can afford to buy one...

Happy to see someone here doing it!

Nice work and patience!

DJ

Thanks DJ. Yea once you buy the machine there's really no turning back. It's to expensive to just let sit in the corner of the garage and collect dust. So might as well take the time to learn it and use it. Plus the results are much better, IMO.

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

So this update doesn't have to do directly with working on the fender, but it does have to do with metal shaping. I took some time off from my '39 Plymouth Coupe project to build an english wheel. It has a 30 inch throat and is made of 4x8x1/4" steel tubing, the adjuster, top wheel, and lower anvils all came as a set from Hoosier Profiles. I would highly recommend this set as its very high quality, built in the USA, and made to last. The upper wheel is 3"x8" and the lower anvils are all 3 inches, the kit came with 6 different radius anvils. So far i've just wheeled a small piece of 18 ga just to put some crown in it and get a feel for how the wheel works, so far so good. I plan to use it to make replacement parts for my Plymouth and '52 B3b pickup. Im excited to actually have an e-wheel at home now so i can practice and make all my own panels and other projects. 

Thanks for looking,

-Chris 

post-4471-0-91188200-1422405191_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-53834400-1422405203_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-96618000-1422405208_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very very nice build and setup!  :D

DJ

That is a GREAT design !  With that deep of a throat,  the panels won't be hanging up when you are swinging them. Nice Job.

That is a GREAT design ! With that deep of a throat, the panels won't be hanging up when you are swinging them. Nice Job.

Thank you! A 30 inch throat should be plenty big for the stuff I will want to do. The frame design came from metalmeet.com I'm really thankful to whom ever put the plans up on that site, it was a tremendous help.

-Chris

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...