1950 Suburban 5.7 Hemi project

Don Colliau

I would guess that engine weighs about 100# + than the flat 6.  What will you do with the front suspension. Better coil springs and better shocks?

What did you base your guess on? Did you actually look up the weights?

331/354 Hemi with alum. intake and water pump - 504

392 Hemi with alum. intake and water pump ------ 564

Mopar flathead weight about 625.

Suggest you do the homework before posting incorrect information.

My statement was a guess and a question, not one of fact., so " no harm, no foul". The question remains, what does the suspension require to support that engine.

My statement was a guess and a question, not one of fact., so " no harm, no foul". The question remains, what does the suspension require to support that engine.

Then I will give my best guess. As the Hemi weighs less I don't think any modifications will be required.

• Like 1

I changed the stock springs out with the Areostar Moog CC850 units. I will be adding a good pair of gas shocks too. I swapped the sway bar out for a Jeep Cherokee part. The rear has rebuilt stock leaf springs. I add air shocks.

I have started the interior insulation so I could mount the computers and get the engine management harness installed. Lots of wire to try and hide.  Pictures to follow.

Edited by Don Colliau

• 1 month later...

picking on you..figured without a doubt that was the case also seen about the parking lights.....I like two tones myself but then I do not own that beast...if single color I am partial to lighter colors on these larger bodies..I tend to believe the lighter shades define the body better..

• 2 weeks later...

You have done a great job on your wagon, it is a nice car.  I could only dream of being able to achieve on my 48 P-15 just half of what you achieved in your car.  I have the same shade of yellow/tan epoxy primmer on my old Chevy pick up and like it so much that I have thought about using it as my base coat and just shooting clear over it.

If you're talking about the gray primered wagon, that's mine. I haven't posted here in quite some time. I am getting ready to paint mine, 2 tone.....oyster white on the bottom, twilight turquoise on the top. I also just put on new black chrome 5 spoke American wheels. I hope to get some pics soon.

Really like how Don is doing his wagon and using the new Hemi. I have been following his build and I remember the time it does take. He is doing a great job and I want to see it when it's done.

If you're talking about the gray primered wagon, that's mine. I haven't posted here in quite some time. I am getting ready to paint mine, 2 tone.....oyster white on the bottom, twilight turquoise on the top. I also just put on new black chrome 5 spoke American wheels. I hope to get some pics soon.

Really like how Don is doing his wagon and using the new Hemi. I have been following his build and I remember the time it does take. He is doing a great job and I want to see it when it's done.

I am glad you are enjoying my build thread. Everbody on here will see my car when its done. I have been busy this week getting my 1947 Dodge COE ready for the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville. We are headed out Tuesday morning for the event. I should return home to the ECM for the hemi. They have sent it out to get the security cleared so it will run. Seems it wasn't done initally.