mrwrstory

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little "side bar" to this OT subject,...thata OT/OT?

So, I'm gettin antsy,...and while waiting for the engine mount bushings, I decided to modify a way to expensive crank pulley recently acquired from the local wrecking yard.  Trouble was my two go friends, for machining stuff, were away for a week or more.  I finally decided to get beyond procrastinating and figger how to use this machine that's been staring at me from it's custom bench for 10 years.  I bought this Smithy in 2000 when I had the where-with-all to write off its' cost, and with visions of modifying/making neat parts for my car projects.  It can even be upgraded with a CAD module,..like I'll ever get to that capability :lol: .  Some folks snicker at the Smithy as not being a real machine tool.  However, I'm not a real machinist and I believe it will provide all the capability I'll ever need in a compact package.  That's as far as I got until late last week.

After a full day of scraping Cosmolen impregnated with 10 years of shop dust I finally got down to the shinny stuff.  A very tentative start got me my customized pulley without damage or personal injury.  I'm not up to cutting threads yet but the ideas on all the cool stuff I could do are flooding in once again. 

IMG_7986_zps516f3c26.jpg

-

IMG_7975_zps67d263e2.jpg

-

IMG_7977_zps7edfaeec.jpg

• Like 1

Ya just use the tool as a storage shelf.  Just keep stackin stuff on top of it.

We had a guy that worked for us that said "any flat surface" could become a storage bench, I once came into the shop to find a grease gun sitting on my chevy pickup fender. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Urathane bushings for the engine mounts.  They worked as planned.

I'm really liking the color of the steel after welding. Been dancing around how to achieve that as it corresponds to the theme I've had in the back of my head for a while. They're s actually a little less "green" than the pic shows.  Florescents over head.  I plan to enhance that and then clear coat,

IMG_8105_zpsa4879623.jpg

Nice Work Bill, Yeah I think clear coat would look perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to the BBQ while my wife was away.  VHT satin clear header paint reqs. baking 20 min. at 250 degrees then after cooling baking again at 400 degrees,..then at 600.  Couldn't quite get to 600 but this is the same as I did with black on the Plymouth exhaust manifolds and it has worked very well.  The "satin" is a little more "flat" than I wanted.  May try another clear over this to enhance the color.  

Another feature is that my garage now smells like steak   :huh:

:lol:  

IMG_8220_zps19d11532.jpg

• Like 1

EXCELLENT WORK! Is that Glyptal coating on the inside of the heads? I used it for the inside of my Panhead cases.

EXCELLENT WORK! Is that Glyptal coating on the inside of the heads? I used it for the inside of my Panhead cases.

Gotta say, I don't know.  was brushed on by the guy who did the heads and he is a performance and Hemi guy who has been around for a long time.

I would be happy to find out if you wanted.....

• 1 month later...

"STATUS REPORT"

After a hiatus of planning and indulging in Road Trips, I am back to the Hemi Build.  I'm only about 3 mo. behind my intended progress.  Hope to fire the beast before the end of the year.

I fabricated some temporary engine mounts so's I could mount the engine on a stand that would support starting and running the engine.  Also had to figger a way to expose the rear of the engine so's I could install the flywheel and starter.  The aluminum piece you see is the adapter that gets the Hemi to the Chevy 5 spd.

Next order of business is mounting the flywheel and figger'n out an alternator bracket.

Img_9201_zps39cee742.jpg

-

Img_9210_zps5ad89ff4.jpg

-

Img_9214_zps87b88682.jpg

• Like 2

Wow Bill, That looks GREAT. Hope to hear it run in something soon.

Finally got to the alternator mounting project.  Spent way too much time trying to fit it everywhere but the obvious.  The obvious hangs off the motor mount flange but didn't get me enough wrap on the crank pulley.  So I added an idler that I feel will address the issue.

In the middle pic you see a "sketch", a "prototype"and the "final".  I love my MIG welder for "roughing out" ideas before committing to a final design.  Ran outta paint at 5:00 PM so you'll see the final result tomorrow.

fc602f07-f020-459c-b5d3-474c1b979c70_zps

-

5a05ffe6-5c7a-4b60-9ab5-6da904fabf38_zps

-

f96efdba-318b-4a11-8270-c89d82b187a8_zps

Edited by mrwrstory