mrwrstory

Huh!  No one commented on the swap meet score??????

The red stamped part may become the transition from the cowl surface to the pitman shaft opening.  The wrench is going to be the pitman arm.

Huh! Again.  Photobucket is down. 

Looking good Bill. Your plan drawings are a work of art all by themselves. How's your mock up for foot room are you going to have to adjust the clutch pedal? I'm interested in your idea for the wrench pitman arm, what's your idea for attaching it to the box? spline the nut and weld it to the wrench?

Ever wonder how the face of the spud wrench got gouged? Must have done some heavy work in its life.

Looks like a wrench from a lathe or some other piece of machinery. I thought a spud wrench had a pointed end (I work iron, so use them daily), though, there are plumbing tools called "spud wrenches" also.

Looking good Bill. Your plan drawings are a work of art all by themselves. How's your mock up for foot room are you going to have to adjust the clutch pedal? I'm interested in your idea for the wrench pitman arm, what's your idea for attaching it to the box? spline the nut and weld it to the wrench?

If I had a pitman arm with the same spline pattern & width of the splines (stock), I might try to cut it down, grind it to the size of the wrench, weld it, & clean it up. Just a thought.

I'm sure it will look great, no matter how you work it out.

Edited by deathbound

The mock-up pic is a little misleading.  There is good room for both brake and clutch feet.  I worried about that from the beginning.  The box, the lowest part, is located pretty much on center between the pedals.

IMG_0777_zps3f9cec53.jpg

:confused:

Haven't exactly decided yet about pitman arm attachment.  Big goal is to reduce the amount the shaft extends from the cowl.  Current thought is to cut off the thread and much of the spline, turn the shaft diameter down to yield a shoulder just proud of the casting, make a sleeve whose ID is a 1:1 fit with the new shaft dia. and whose OD matches the nut whose threads have been bored out.  Then the three pieces will be pinned or through-bolted together.  I've run the idea past others who are smarter than I and they see no issues. 

As a side note, I looked a half a dozen cowl steering setups at the recent Grand National Roadster Show and feel pretty good about what I'm doing.

• Like 1

Used to work on tractors that had a U joint in the steering and was only pinned to the shaft.  Constant movement would wear the pin and steering would get very sloppy.    Not the biggest deal when in the field, bigger when on the road in road gear.  I might suggest either keying the shaft or having splines cut in in addition to the pin.

• Like 1

Rather than modify the shaft I think that I'd just find a deeper 'tail-light housing' and live with the amount of projection...but that is just the frugal side of my brain talking.....

• Like 1

Previous pics were of the mockup which allowed me to connect the dots to get everything where it needed to be.  Like everything is connected to everything else and to get the steering wheel where I wanted it and the angle I wanted, about a gillion factors came into play.  It was a lot of in and  out, back and forth and finessing small dimensions in three planes.  

The following images are the real hardware ' tho there is more connecting elements to resolve as well as finish welding and detailing.

And,....soon's I get a backordered shaft seal, I'll be blowin apart the box to reverse it thus having the input shaft exiting the box where the red dot is.

IMG_0802_zpsa658dce6.jpg

-

Img_0814_zps14b4bb2a.jpg

-

IMG_0825_zpsf7697e1c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great Bill.....did you see this set-up at the GNRS last month? I didn't get a pic of the steering column/box.

post-3672-0-73489500-1424406933_thumb.jpg

Looks great Bill.....did you see this set-up at the GNRS last month? I didn't get a pic of the steering column/box.

Damn!!!!!!!!  Missed that.  Wished I'd seen the interior.  I like it,....kinda.  'Tho I'm favoring the "Steam Punk" theme, this is a little beyond my tolerance.