Need some help with my 1947 dodge

casper50

It appears to have rust through up near the welting; that may be more difficult to buff out.  -- Still, if the rust is not causing structural damage to the fender it could probably be patched.  Could you get the fender off and then have a body shop weld in a patch?

I just bought a 1947 dodge 3 window coupe.  It has a bad right rear fender.  I've found a 47 Desoto 5 window coupe near me that has a decent fender.  Will they interchange?  Thanks

I have been told that the same year Dodge,Chrysler,and DeSoto fenders interchange. It's the Plymouth fenders and doors that are the odd man out up front on 42-48/early 49 cars.

IIRC,the rears swap out from 42 to 48/early 49. The 42 front fenders stopped at the cowl and the bottom swell didn't show on the doors like the 46-48/early 49's. Once again,the Plymouth are the exception.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

JC thanks for telling me that those files are there.  Unfortunately I can't open them.  I keep getting the message "file is corrupt".  Looking at the instructions on renaming and combining them and then unzipping them leaves me dumbfounded. 

Try getting it here: http://www.pwchryslerclub.org/resources.html

It has the whole manual in one, large pdf file.  No unzipping required.  But make sure you right-click the link (on the destination webpage) and select download to computer.  Then you'll have it on your own computer and can open it directly instead of using your internet browser.  It is text searchable but the OCRing did not work very well.  I recommend that you not rely on text search and instead manually check each division for cross-reference information.

Edited by jcmiller

The book says that the part numbers are different   dodge right rear fender 1947 12-18-5  872 956

Desoto right rear fender 1947 12-18-5  872 954

The difference is probably the De Soto has a horizontal trim piece and the fender will be drilled for trim clips, while the Dodge goes out naked on its rear fenders, and is not drilled.  So you could get the De Soto fender and trim and put it on one side, and leave the other W/O the trim spear and then challenge folks to find the difference.