Registered For What I Hope Will Be A Fun Event

greg g

Next weekend is vintage car race weekend at Watkins Glen. On Friday, I have registered for the Concourso Speciale which comprises a showing of unusual, unique, original and preserved vehicles.  The event also features a driving event on the original street and road course over which the early races were held before the closed circuit was built.  We will have 2 laps of the 6.2 mile course.  Even though the circuits are made behind a pace car, some participants  reported speeds of 70/75 MPH. on some sections.   The course has a 600 foot elevation change climbing away from the start line and falling toward the finish line.  I have no doubt about climbing the hills, but there could be a stern test of brakes coming down the hill into the village, and making the 90 degree right onto main street approaching start finish.

Hope we don't embarrass ourselves in front of some Borgward Isabella, or DKW.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went, I made my two laps, and a got an award.  But I didn't get any video, or any relevant pics.  The threads that hold the tripod mount on my camera striped out and wouldn't hold the camera and I had no luck in finding a ride along camera person, I didn't get any video.  The two laps went fine.  Despite instructions at the drivers meeting to keep pace, the tool in front of me in a hot rod ford touring car, kept slowing down and then accelerating, then braking hard to keep from running into the guy in front of him, so instead of having a nice experience at 45 to 50 mph, my laps were reduced to a less enjoyable experience.  But if you are ever in Watkins Glen, I would encourage you to find the "Old Course" and make a couple circuits on your own.  Maps are available just about everywhere in the village.

The judges give out 4 awards and then people' choice.  One is called the repeat o fender award.  This is a fender off an old race car, it is awarded to a car that was registered the past year that didn't trophy, in order to encourage them to com back next year and return the fender.This went to a Corvair Rampside Truck.   A Corvair V8 converson won people's choice, mine was for best of show 1950 and older.  they did a BOS 51 and newer, which went to a 56 Citroen Traction Avant, a BOS unrestored, which went to a 1962 FSO Syrena 104  (Fabryka Samochodów Osobowych)

The same P15 4 door that was thee last year was not in the group but parked nearby, but I was not the only P15 in town.  But had a good time met some folks I hadn't seen in a few years and saw some interesting stuff on the streets.  

• Like 1