Fuel Economy Or Lack Thereof

You might also consider about the overall cost of the diesel engine service/maintenence.....

Costly12 quart crankcase oil change

Expensive big messy oil filter to change

Expensive fuel filters/water separator service change

High cost diesel fuel compared to regular gas

Hope you never need a injector pump or injectors $$$$$$

Just a few items to ponder

But... those older noisy 12 valve and early 24 valve cummins are one tough engine!

• Like 2

I'm not knowledgeable on the topic, but I am interested to learn more about the 5.9 Cummins (which I think is the 6BT).  Some of the members commenting in this topic may have looked at my project (B-1-JMA Build) and know it is (or will be) on a 77 Dodge M500 motorhome chassis that currently has a 440/727 setup in it.  I'm thinking a diesel would be a lot more fuel efficient than the 8-10 MPG that I might get with the 440.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  OBTW, I sure enjoy this forum, lots of good people sharing interesting stuff.  Jim

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

if that is the route you want to go check out this site. Its a diesel swap forum. If it lacks spark plugs, someone on there knows about it and probably has swapped it into another vehicle. most people wont get their money back when talking about a diesel swap but that not why everyone does it.

I know there have been a couple RV swaps on there and a couple vans as well. check out some of the builds and see if its what you want. Best of luck, Jeremiah

If you had your carburetor off, and changed carb to manifold gaskets, did you assure that the vacuum passage for the step up jet was provided by the slot in the gasket?  If the vacuum signal is not provided, the valve will be open at all times.  This will lead to a rich mixture, and maybe a bit of black smoke from the exhaust.  This can be worth 3 to 4 mpg when working properly.  This I know applies to B1B carbs, I am assuming that the Dodge truck carbs are similar but you know how assuming works.

You might also consider about the overall cost of the diesel engine service/maintenence.....

Costly12 quart crankcase oil change

Expensive big messy oil filter to change

Expensive fuel filters/water separator service change

High cost diesel fuel compared to regular gas

Hope you never need a injector pump or injectors $$$$$$

Just a few items to ponder

But... those older noisy 12 valve and early 24 valve cummins are one tough engine!

not disagreeing with most of that, but i put plenty of oil through my flathead. leaks from the rear main and the front, as well as the valve covers. no evidence at all that it burns any, as the plugs are clean after 2K miles of use. i'd guess that the diesel isn't as notorious for leaking oil as the flathead is. the other stuff, sure. more expensive, but i don't think motor oil for it would be.

A good flathead should not really use much oil at all.

A well maintained Cummins won't leak oil.

I've had several old trucks that I've restored including an F Model Mack w sleeper.  That one was my last diesel.  12 gallon (yes gallon) oil changes, 3 oil filters, two fuel filters and on and on.  Given the truck had the extended service package, but I'd never run the thing long or hard enough to get to the next service interval for several years.   Here comes the condensation and sludge avoidance oil changes at over $200 a pop.   I was at our show in Macungie this past weekend talking with several hobbyist restorers of the smaller trucks.  With the price differential of diesel vs gas, and the occasional hobbyist type use most of us give our vehicles, the gas engine is still to me more cost effective.   Not knocking diesel, but if I'm not going to take a vehicle out to work it, or put some serious miles on it, I'm gonna stick with gas jobs.   Just my personal preference.   Mike