3 Speed Transmission

Dave
Go to solution Solved by Scruffy49,

I have a 57 B200 with a 3 speed transmission, I am having some troubles with 2nd gear, I shift from 1st with usually no problem, if I shift too fast it will grind, so I am slow and it's ok. When I need to go from 3rd to 2nd about half the time I can't get it into gear or it grinds, I've tried double clutching not much better. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks

It is a column shift, will work on the cleaning and adjusting. I also have a 3 speed floor shift from a 36 Plymouth four door car, also has a flathead six, will that gearbox work in the truck?

It is a column shift, will work on the cleaning and adjusting. I also have a 3 speed floor shift from a 36 Plymouth four door car, also has a flathead six, will that gearbox work in the truck?

Measure it, but be ready to change the output yoke. Your truck should have normal u-joints, my 49 and earlier tend to have ball and trunnion type that are hard to get you hands on in a hurry. And were available in at least 2 sizes, even with measurements, the parts house invariably sends the wrong one...

When I upgrade to a modern axle, I'll have to upgrade the output yoke on the transmission too, or switch trans/rear at the same time from the same donor.

You guys with "late models" have it a bit easier than those of us with "fossils"... :D

It's the syncronizer as stated above.

Depends. All he can do do for a trans swap is measure and see. The case bolts to the bellhousing should be pretty close if not exactly the same spacing. And a 50should be the exact same unit as the 57. If I was going through the headache of old column shift for old column shift, I'd swap in a 4 speed, stronger trans, better clutch, gets rid of the column shift in favor of a fewer external moving parts top loader...

Clean floorboard a la column shift manual or auto, push button or dash shift auto is really nice. No external linkages to bind, bend or get torn off to me is worth sacrificing a smooth floor. And when the synchros, if so equipped, fail in a top loader, it is a lot easier to learn the feel of double clutching or clutchless gear changes. Too many years driving tractor trailers, I can double clutch just fine or shift just fine if the trans doesn't have synchros. With synchros drives me bug house, you have to use the clutch.

Edited by Scruffy49

I learned double clutch on old fire trucks, 1960's, but haven't done it for at least thirty years. What I remember is: depress clutch, pull shift lever out of gear into neutral, let clutch pedal up then depress again and shift into the new gear. Am I missing anything? I always shift fairly early from 1st to 2nd before going into 3rd, slow speed, I'll have to pay more attention to the speed, maybe 30 or less as I put into 3rd. I really baby the truck, I don't think my methods are at fault here, more likely the synchronizers are bad as some have indicated here. Does anyone know if a 3 sp gear box from a 1936 Dodge sedan might fit this truck?

I learned double clutch on old fire trucks, 1960's, but haven't done it for at least thirty years. What I remember is: depress clutch, pull shift lever out of gear into neutral, let clutch pedal up then depress again and shift into the new gear. Am I missing anything? I always shift fairly early from 1st to 2nd before going into 3rd, slow speed, I'll have to pay more attention to the speed, maybe 30 or less as I put into 3rd. I really baby the truck, I don't think my methods are at fault here, more likely the synchronizers are bad as some have indicated here. Does anyone know if a 3 sp gear box from a 1936 Dodge sedan might fit this truck?

Your method sounds reasonable for upshifts. Need to tap the gas pedal when in neutral if you are down shifting. Whole point is to get the gear teeth that you are going to be meshing together to be spinning at the same speed.

My non-synchro '33 likes to be in 3rd by 20 MPH or so, so it takes some fancy footwork to shift smoothly if you do it at a higher speed.

Given that your truck came with synchronizers that are supposed to deal with the issue of grinding gears, I will admit that the posters who say the synchros are shot are probably on the mark.

IMO the 48-53 3 speeds were a very weak transmission. I had a 1952 3speed FD truck trans that ground going into 2 nd at 72,000 miles. The 3 speeds are somewhat whiney in 1st and 2nd too. Not my cup of tea. The 4 speeds are trouble free.