extruded nuts, clips.. WHAT ARE THEY CALLED

Did you try a local body shop supply?  Ask them if they carry..."J nuts".  The problem is, these old dodge's use fine thread bolts everywhere, and probably you'll only find coarse thread J nuts.  If you dont mind using coarse threads, might be the way to go.

Did you try a local body shop supply?  Ask them if they carry..."J nuts".  The problem is, these old dodge's use fine thread bolts everywhere, and probably you'll only find coarse thread J nuts.  If you dont mind using coarse threads, might be the way to go.

odd. every single clip and 1/2 in bolt I took out with the exception of the cab floor was coarse. makes me wonder. I will take a look at some of these. fastenal looked at me cross eyed.

Edited by judsonhauling

I just went and bought all new hardware at NAPA, the have the 1/4-20 J nuts and bolts to go with it, boxes of 25 each for like 11 bucks a pop. Not the cheapest route, but since I have my entire front end apart, I figured I'd replace every fastener. I can get you stock numbers if you want

awesome. NAPA is a block away!

I used mostly  #665-1362 for the nuts, they call them U-nuts, but I also got some #665-1254 for where I needed a bit more throat or length I guess you could call it...

Bolts are #665-3376 and they come with the washer attached

most of my original hardware was coarse thread with a different kind of clip nut, but I like these more

odd. every single clip and 1/2 in bolt I took out with the exception of the cab floor was coarse. makes me wonder. I will take a look at some of these. fastenal looked at me cross eyed.

did you go to a store or check the website?

Edited by ggdad1951

Should be the very course thread up front. J nuts reach half way over the top .....while U nuts cover the whole top. If you look at the nuts, it makes perfect sense, cuz one looks like the letter "J" and the other the letter "U".

48D  

My 49 1/2 ton has a mix of fine and acme threads. None of which are getting reused. I'll save the acmes and their clips for the resto guys. Every fastener on mine that I can safely do so is being replaced with stainless steel and/or high silicon bronze marine grade. Visible ones will likely get acorn nuts just to add some to the " huh?" factor... Suspension stuff will be hardened stainless with bronze (oil lite) bushings. I only want to do a full blow it apart on the truck once, but with the ability to easily take something off for repairs in the future. Stainless and bronze aren't cheap, but they last for a LONG time.