Installing flat glass

Joe Flanagan

I'm getting ready to install the two-piece windshield on my 49 Plymouth. I'm pretty sure some others on the forum have done this themselves with no problems. I tried to install the windshield on my 56 Chevy pickup some time ago, which has a curved windshield, and I managed to crack it. I think installing flat glass is much more straightforward, though. True? I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's done this. Thank you.

My biggest advice is get a helper and get a 1 piece molded gasket. I tried to do mine myself and ended up cracking 1/2. Beyond that you should be able to do it.

I had no problems installing all the glass in my 48. I used the universal molding. I started with the driver's side. I put the seam in the top middle and worked it around the glass then installed it from the inside. I then laid the glass into the molding on the passenger side and wrapped it around the top leaving the excess on until the last moment. I slipped the center divider in from the top, then cut off the excess of both the divider and the outer moulding. Worked out really well.

When we installed the new windshield in my 48 Plymouth, there were three of us working on it. The extra hands helped out, plus my brother-in-law had replaced windshields similar to this many times, and was instructing us on what to do. The only advice I have is to be careful when re-installing the garnish molding around the windshield. I apparently overtightened some of the trim screws on the passenger side, and after a short time, a crack developed. Had the glass company cut a new one, and was more careful with this one. Also had the replacement cut just slightly smaller, and have had no more problems. Good luck.

Wayne

Why not just spend a 100 dollars and have a professional do it! If they brake the glass than its there fault. I had mine done and well they are the professionals and I did not want to take the chance of screwing up my new glass by just thinking well I can do this????:)

OK. Thanks for the advice. I know Steele Rubber is considered the best out there but wanted to know if anyone has had good luck with Roberts or any of the other usual suspects.

I haven't had any luck with Roberts or others. We tried a cheap one from bernbaums and we got so frustrated we quit. We bought the one piece molded from Steele for our Desoto and it was much easier, far better quality and better fit. I'm putting steele in my truck all the way around. Its worth the extra money.

I used Roberts for front and back glass and its worked perfectly since 1995. I noticed when I bought it that the price was exactly half of Steele's.

I have always wondered if it originally came from Steele and was resold by Roberts. If so, Steele was selling it for less than half price to Roberts.

At any rate, the window gaskets have worked perfectly for me.