The Next Big Thing

48ply1stcar

Back at again

My goal was only to get the engine running in March, didn't happen.

Other threads documented issue with missing carb linkage - resolved and fuel pump resolved with electric pump.

Latest is no spark.  I searched and used much of the information.  Tried Don's static timing, measured primary and secondary ohms across the terminals.  Looked at the engine from different angles, scratched my head and other parts, even had an electrician read the ohm meter to make sure I was right.  But I never looked into the main coil terminal.  Never noticed that in had three years of rust inside.  In case anybody needs to clean the input it's a 45 caliber so I used a bore brush.

After cleaning the coil I measured the primary terminals (the + and -) impedance and got a normal reading, .9 of a ohm, but when I measured the secondary impedance from the main tower to each side I got about 6000 ohms in stead of the 10k to 12k.

I just ordered a new coil, contacts and condenser.  Pick up tomorrow morning. 

Static timing - got a spark with a new coil and new spark plug.  Rotor at 7 o'clock and dampener at TDC. 

Replaced all plugs, put a little gas in the carb and got a few puffs of white smoke from the carb.

Took off the carburetor to clean it up.  Bowl was full, nice stream from pump.  I'll put the carb back together and on tomorrow and try again.

As long as I'm this close I might even put in the radiator.

It's way past tomorrow.

Disassembled and cleaned distributor this morning.  New points and condenser.

Static timing, spark at TDC.

fuel provided by 12 volt electric fuel pump via 12 volt car starter.

When I turn over the engine by hand it sounds like I'm winding a clock. (Thoughts)

Still haven't installed radiator, waiting to make starting noises.  When I try to start the car I get a few pops and white smoke from the carb.

DO NOT TRY THIS  Forgot to replace distributor cap, cranked the engine a little, then replaced car.  BIG POP.

Should I try moving the distributor a little between start attempts?

Suggestions - rude comments - funny stories, anything that would help. 

post-1228-0-77325400-1428355508_thumb.jpgpost-1228-0-28710700-1428355544_thumb.jpgpost-1228-0-32591200-1428355562_thumb.jpg

Disassembled and cleaned distributor this morning.  New points and condenser.

Static timing, spark at TDC.

When I turn over the engine by hand it sounds like I'm winding a clock. (Thoughts)

Sounds like winding a clock? You mean a steady ticking noise? Shouldnt do that, something hitting. Take off the distributor cap and turn it by hand see if it stops, also look at the inside of the cap, check the rotor and inside distributor. Try and find out where the ticking is coming from.

Also I know you said spark at TDC but that is on compression stroke right? Not exhaust??

Usually a puff of smoke from the carb and/or Big pops is associated with out of time - either ignition or valve. Ignition would be distributor, valve would be timing chain. Only other thing I can think of that would cause ignition thru the carb is an ignition short which once again would probably be in the distributor.

Edited by Lloyd

As I recall, if you spin these starters with a battery to test them outside of the car, the Bendix goes past its normal travel (where the flywheel stops it) and gets stuck there, fully extended. You have to pry the little drive dogs down on their springs to get it to screw backwards again.

I'm sure my Fords did that & pretty sure the Plymouth did too.

Can anyone verify this?

I'm thinking the OP's starter has done this too.

The cases weren't interchangeable so I disassembled and clean up the one with the broken flange and mounted it.

Crossing my fingers for later this afternoon  Pretty soon there won't be anything I haven't disassembled and put back together, and some of the things work.

EDIT - Ticking noise was eliminated with changing starters.  No longer extended.  Have not yet fixed the extended gear on the first starter.

Would have bet a bunch that everything was right, turned distributor 180 degrees and a got a spark or two.  Had to shut it down and get ready to go to work in a half-hour.  Actually looking forward to tomorrow.

EDIT:

4-15 Still not starting, replaced vacuum advance with one that works.  That could explain some issues I had with the previous engine.

It feels close to starting maybe I'll give the car a day or two to think about it.

EDIT 4-18 Still nothing on 4-17 - Next step rebuild carburetor.  Order kit from NAPA 4-18, hopefully a Sunday afternoon project.

Edited by 48ply1stcar

Today is April 21, 2015, I bought this car on Plam Sunday in 1968, and apparently I only like to start it every 33 months lately.

I started the car without a radiator only because I didn't have any faith.  It started so quickly that now I can't wait to get it back together agan.

Hopfully I can add a movie later.

• 9 months later...