Rust free 40 plymouth sedan

40plyrod

Well I think I'm calling the wiring done, I haven't been able to track down why the turn signal indicator light stays lit but it doesn't seem to be causing any other problems so I'm going to leave it as is. I wired in some interior lights that work off door switches over the weekend. The lights I used are universal trailer license plate lights from Canadian Tire, and while I'm sure being made in Taiwan that the chrome on them would last all of 2 months before showing rust, in the interior they should last well. As well $6 a piece sure beats the $45 per light the local Hot rod shop wanted for interior lights.  

post-2834-0-62371100-1458005482_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-25946900-1458005520_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-22105800-1458005549_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-29294600-1458005576_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lady Luck is smiling on me! Didn't think I would be able to afford whitewalls for the Plymouth but my brother-in-law spotted these for me in a local classified. The guy who sold them to me unfortunately (for him) ordered the wrong profile for his corvette. I guess my next project will be stripping and painting the rims. :D  

post-2834-0-02195000-1459311276_thumb.jpg

try reversing the in and out leads on your signal flasher   and don't forget I have a tire machine you can use. 

off to Portland Swap Meet  dp

• 2 weeks later...

Another step closer! Spent the last 2 days sand blasting (is there a worse car building job?) and painting my rims in preparation for the whitewalls. I'm hoping to post those picture next weekend, so for now, here's just the painted wheels.

post-2834-0-19321400-1460259402_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-19963500-1460259428_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Spotted your nifty interior lights. Found them local for $4. Now trying to find the 6v bulb that fits. (not going to pay $9 to ship a bulb!)

edit: just found the bulb, same place as the lamp.

Edited by rb1949

Another step closer! Spent the last 2 days sand blasting (is there a worse car building job?) and painting my rims in preparation for the whitewalls. I'm hoping to post those picture next weekend, so for now, here's just the painted wheels.

I think block sanding is worse than sandblasting.  Your wheels look super.

neither is as bad as removing undercoating

Ya, blocksanding was pretty bad but I didn't end up with sand down my back and everywhere else. I can imagine removing undercoating would be nasty, I never had any on my car to remove, if I had maybe I wouldn't have had to replace the entire floor. :-)

The undercoating on my car chipped right off. Took about 90 min for the whole bottom.   Sand washes off.  Muscle pain from sanding takes awhile to go away.  lol

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

I spent a couple afternoons and evenings wirebrushing the accumulation  off the bottom of FEF and more time with wax and grease remover to get it ready for paint.  With the cab laying in it's back , access was good but crud ended up everywhere.  Chipping didn't work..  The Mach I wasn't any better, working from under it.  Sanding is therapy for me.  Blast cabinet or goggles, face shield and hoodie keep most of the sand out as well as knowing what angle to work at, same as with a pressure washer.  It'll tell you instantly if you should change your approach angle.

If you like sanding, then  Google or Youtube search Leroy Anderson's Sandpaper Ballet.  Very soothing.

Edited by dpollo

• 2 weeks later...

Started making up the door panels, I'm lucky that the old ones came with the car even though when I got the car there wasn't much door left for them to cling to. :rolleyes:    I used as them as trace templates for the new panels. Kind funny, 19 clips plus the door handle, window crank and armrest to hold the door panel on and just the window crank to hold on the rear compartment panel. :huh: Before I add anymore holes or complexity I'm wondering about the screw that goes into the shaft of the outer door handle. Is it needed and is it supposed to go through the door panel and show on the fabric or is it hidden behind the panel? It seems to have a shoulder on it which gives the impression of going through the panel. Sorry if I've explained this clumsily. The last 2 pics may help.  

post-2834-0-46308900-1461552356_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-35949800-1461552378_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-72874300-1461552411_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-32731200-1461552442_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-19732700-1461552473_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-39844500-1461552499_thumb.jpg

So you didn't reinstall them? It would look smoother without them but my brother-in-law is a big man and I don't want to see the handle ripped off the door because they're important to the integrity of the assembly and I didn't use them. :eek:  :D Mostly just wondering how they're supposed to look normally then I'll decide how I'm going to use them.

Edited by 40plyrod

The screw is there to give you access to the end of the shaft to guide it into the square hole in the latch mechanism.

With the door handle off you can feed a piece of soft iron wire through the screw hole and into the threaded hole in the end of the square shaft. that will guide the shaft into the square hole so you can get the handle back on without removing the interior door panel.

• Like 1

The screw is there to give you access to the end of the shaft to guide it into the square hole in the latch mechanism.

With the door handle off you can feed a piece of soft iron wire through the screw hole and into the threaded hole in the end of the square shaft. that will guide the shaft into the square hole so you can get the handle back on without removing the interior door panel.

How cool is that!  Tx   Hope I can remember that when/if I need to pull the door handle.

That's cool, so you would see the screw head if it was done right. I've never noticed any in a door panel before anybody got pics? Since they don't seem to be structural and I didn't use them to install the door handles the 1st time I may leave them out. Thanks

The only reason I can think of for these screws is to prevent the removal of the handle from outside the car..... but that does not allow entry if the door is locked.  Some trunk locks, like the 37 Plymouth were the same but there the lock was in the handle so removal would allow access.   Both my 40s were/are equipped with these screws, nickel plated.