Parking lights to turn signals

actually if you just pry them back with a scribe or small screwdriver you may just get these to come apart..those do look a bit rough for wear due to rust..if not rusted I would just suggest you repace the backing with twin wires and go from there..I do this all the time..but again..those be a bit rusted..even blasting could clean them up and save the assemblies only if you got a good uncorroded pinch of the socket to the base.

esle I would look for a socket that just clips into a round hole of proper size..esy to install these..even easier to service later as the assembly or lens will not require being removed

I just used a screw driver and pried the lip up. I went to NAPA and bought new duel filliment sockets with the same crimp over style. I bead blasted the housings and used a "chrome" paint for the reflective backing. I am also using a 1157 duel filiment amber bulb which is still very bright on my 6v batttery.

post-7184-13585369953063_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585369953498_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585369953795_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b218

I just popped mine our by prying with a set of vice grips, but my sockets were toast too so they came easy, then cleaned up the holes with a die grinder.

I found 2 new sockets in some cheap tail lights and just spot welded them in with my mig

actually if you just pry them back with a scribe or small screwdriver you may just get these to come apart..those do look a bit rough for wear due to rust..if not rusted I would just suggest you repace the backing with twin wires and go from there..I do this all the time..but again..those be a bit rusted..even blasting could clean them up and save the assemblies only if you got a good uncorroded pinch of the socket to the base.

esle I would look for a socket that just clips into a round hole of proper size..esy to install these..even easier to service later as the assembly or lens will not require being removed

Was going to drop in double wires but pins are even & 1154 are offset so the originals have to go!

I'll pop them out & take them to NAPA for clip in style.

I just used a screw driver and pried the lip up. I went to NAPA and bought new duel filliment sockets with the same crimp over style. I bead blasted the housings and used a "chrome" paint for the reflective backing. I am also using a 1157 duel filiment amber bulb which is still very bright on my 6v batttery.

I've heard bright white reflects better than silver, but with amber 6V bulb it will be plenty bright as long as it's not it's current rust color!

it is really not necessary...the 1157 is staggered for sure but the socket still does not need be changed..just remember your index when you change bulbs so you will not have one dim on one side and one bright on the other..HOWEVER when it comes to your memory and trust turns to rust...best change them in the long run..I have been swapping these for so long I automatically look at the index prior to popping out the bulb..also if you loop one wire back into itself it will never allow the spring and indexing plate to move forward and out of the socket..self limiting that way..

• 1 month later...