Rod Info

I just found out my crank is cracked. My guy magnafluxed it today. The engine is all apart again.

I think I had a 230 crank in my little 218 block and didn't know it. It has an 8 hole flywheel flange. I never measured the stroke.

I need to look into the rods I have. Anybody know the length of a 230 rod or a 218 rod? They ones I have are casting # 954371

I'd like to make sure somebody didn't put the wrong rods with the 230 crank, if even possible to do.

Now looking for a new crank....just when I thought all was well. :confused:

post-3764-1358536863476_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585368635307_thumb.jpg

Edited by John-T-53

Hey John, I have two motors sitting out here, possibly three. Maybe Jim, you and I can sort something out. Two are for sure 218's (thou you got surprised by what you have...yikes) and the other I've never checked.

48D

My parts book shows con rod P/N's 954376 & 954377 for "D" model trucks, which would be the 230CID, and P/N's 1115901 & 1115902 for "B" and "C" models, with a 218CID engine. Maybe your number was used in a car engine? I don't have any parts books for them.

Otherwise just because it has 8 holes in the flywheel flange doesn't automatically make it a 230. My 218 has 8 holes for my Fluid Drive unit.

Merle

Guest P15-D24

Should have rights and lefts. 218 cranks are available pretty easily. I think I have 3-4 sitting in my shed. Problem is the shipping as they need to be crated to prevent damage.

Holy crap is right. I just can't seem to win no matter how hard I try.

A normal person in this case would throw in the towell and buy a Toyota (or something like that). Should I just do that?

Turns out the crank is a 218. False alarm. It had multiple cracks all over, details still pending until my machinist gets the full report from our crank guy (Armando).

A new 218 crank is $550, ground, polished, including all bearings, and delivery. That's at cost from the supplier in Sacramento (I think it's Motor Warehouse).

I'm looking into getting a 230 crank now, though.