1942 Chrysler Buis Coupe

dieseldust

..get the car..while the dash may be the most expenisve item to repair/replace, one can usually swap dashes from another sister car, say Dodge which is more common, while you assemble the parts needed to go back stock..at least this way you can deal with the car and possibily drive it in the meanwhile..the big butt are just to unique not to have ownership of one if possible..

Brian i am not sure i am waiting for some more information on the car from the owner , He is going to take some more pictues and send them to me with all the info on the car, i was thinking 500 myself to be honest if it is complete like he says , when i get all the info i will post all pictures and information.

Jim

Well kind of hard to tell from the two pics how complete it is, or rusty...but I don't think I'd pay more then $1000 for it on the very high side. I'd probably want to get it for $500. Does he have registration for it?

If you offered me 500 I'd probably take a shot at you......its not a 53 chevy, less than 1000 total production makes it rare, not a lowball everyday car.

Just noticed that it is a six cylinder car.- not a NY or Saratoga. No rear fenders? Looks very rusty- floors are probably really rough.no brakes no headlights or rear fenders? Seat frames/cushions are probably really rusty too. Bad gas tank-hard to find. A long long road ahead to restore and tons of money on this car. The future owner has all this going through his mind. But the term "Rat Rod" comes to mind and that means a cheap tacty get it kinda up running, then enjoy!

As stated above $500.00 max to be safe and still be able to get out of it if you want and have room to make a few bucks after a bit of fix up to sell it.

JMO, Bob

@ $500 the parts exceed the value of the car.

The dash plastic in good condition is worth (a minimum of $1200).

Assorted hard to find parts like window cranks with plastic inserts are worth at least $250 a set of four in good condition. You might be surprised at the cost to "restore" a vehicle like the one pictured.

$25-$40K later you might have a nice car? It often makes sense to purchase the best vehicle you can afford. In other words a $500 car that looks like a good deal can often cost more in time and $$$'s then purchasing a solid original car that has never been rusted out.

If you have the skills and are capable of ALL the necessary work then the above may not apply to you. Like some others on the forum who are "Jack of all trades" it is possible to do the car for less. But for mere mortals that need the paid assistance of shops the bills are staggering.

However many "optimistic" purchasers fail to complete a "bargain" when the actual cost of restoration is factored in.

$10 - $12K paint job (may not include all body work)

$4k chrome

$4-6K Interior (including steering wheel resto etc.)

$3-4K Motor rebuild

Not including the purchase price, time spent, and $$$'s on eBay it could be an easy $30-40K minimum.

The rising cost of parts and paint, chrome, interior etc. vs. the falling prices of good original cars makes the full restoration an expensive route to take.

Preference towards never rusted original vehicles trumps the $500 "bargain" every time.

RoadKing...I couldn't agree more. I have paid through the nose on restoring rusty cars...not worth it IMO. I will search for a good rust free car and pay accordingly for this car, which is usually high due to the rust free nature. But even with the higher initial value, and shipping costs factored in, you will still be farther ahead on the overall restoration costs.

My last 3 cars have come out of the US...from dry western states.

Another thing I noticed in the pics is that it appears the roof is kinked on both sides? Maybe someone used a forklift to move it at some time?

Rust free cars are the ones to buy! You will pay more and have a better car. Helps resale value too.

I have to say thanks for all the advise and comments seems like a great bunch off people here, I do love the car but i will see when i get all the info on it i think maybe after all the comments it might just be a parts car so is there any one here interested in parts off the car let me know when i post all the pictures i get and i may sell some parts to get me a rust free car or less rusty than the coupe is anyway,

Jim

I have to say thanks for all the advise and comments seems like a great bunch off people here, I do love the car but i will see when i get all the info on it i think maybe after all the comments it might just be a parts car so is there any one here interested in parts off the car let me know when i post all the pictures i get and i may sell some parts to get me a rust free car or less rusty than the coupe is anyway,

Jim

Also, get the serial number. If it starts with a "9", get the details from the body tag on the firewall -

Model Number -

Body Number -

Paint Code -

Trim Code -

This will help when selling the car / parts as you will be able to tell buyers exactly what you have.

Jim

I have a virtually rust-free 49 coupe and a 49 parts car...in Calgary

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1949-Chrysler-Royal-Coupe-Project-Car-W0QQAdIdZ360135694