1942 Chrysler Buis Coupe

dieseldust

I have a chance to buy a 1942( i think) Chrysler Buisness coupe, i have never seen one before it is either a Saratoga or a NewYorker not sure it is very rough see picture but it is complete the guy has all the trim off the car in a barn stored, How rare is this car !!!

Jim

post-2794-13585366849489_thumb.jpg

Quite a rare car to say the least! It could be a Royal or Windsor six.....Not too sure if they even made an eight 3 pass coupe in 1942 as they did in 1941 and 1946-8 cars. That would be the Saratoga and NewYorker series cars. I have a 46 NewYorker 3 passenger business coupe. They are cool cars.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Are you married? I know my wife might just not be to excited about this project. Where do you get the parts to fix such a rare car? I for one like it but its looks like a big project just finding materials to put it back together again. But hay this old car sold for 75 dollars of at a swap meet I went to and I swear I thought it would not even make it out of the parade grounds before it disintegrated. Notice the zip tie locks holding it together. Oh well one man dream another mans whatever.:cool:

DSC00992.jpg

April 2012 issue of Collectible Automobile has a 4 page feature on a 1942 Chrysler Business Coupe..very nice ......andyd

I saw a 42 Chrysler business coupe at the Raleigh Classic auction in the fall. It was white, like the one in the pictures just posted. (possibly the same car) Beautiful car! The dash and steering wheel were done in a kind of swirled plastic, sort of like tortoise shell. It was beautiful, but probably impossible to replace. The car did not sell at the auction, perhaps it is still for sale someplace.

Dave

I wonder what the original owner sold out of the trunk? If you like Chryslers there is a guy around the corner that has a couple of these big fat fendered cars. I see them while on my daily three mile walks. I will get some photo's and put them up on here. There all Chrysler's but I do not know what years? :)

I saw a 42 Chrysler business coupe at the Raleigh Classic auction in the fall. It was white, like the one in the pictures just posted. (possibly the same car) Beautiful car! The dash and steering wheel were done in a kind of swirled plastic, sort of like tortoise shell. It was beautiful, but probably impossible to replace. The car did not sell at the auction, perhaps it is still for sale someplace.

Dave

I really like the 1941 and 42 Chrysler marbled soybean plastic dashes and steering wheels. They had several colors. Blue,red, a kinda off white and maybe a couple others.

Amazingly beautiful!

Most of 1942 cars are rare by default, but this Chrysler is a gorgeous car.

No matter would it be it rare or not, it is a star among cars.

It will be a big demanding project, but it will be worth the sweat.

If you have a chance to rescue it, go for it - And keep us up-dated on the project.

A lot of women can't see the beauty of the car when finished...they only see what it looks like right now. My wife said my 68 T/C wagon was a POS when I got it...now she loves it!!

I didn't notice you wee in Surrey BC there dieseldust...if you need any help let me know.

And I see dodgeb4ya has pics of the same car I posted up...guess I'm not the only one who gathers pics from on-line auction sites....:D;)

Yep those S10 converts are are one rare unique car except this 1942 a 5Th Ave edition red convertible-- Thats here in Seattle- I've seen it plenty. I put an engine in it and rebuilt the trans and other work. The above picture is of the same car and the also ultra rare blue 1942 3 pass coupe owned by the same person Ray, at the National DeSoto meet about 10 years ago here in the seattle area- Ray sold the S10 3 passenger coupe to a fireman in Norway about 5 years ago, and has been sold again!

Bob

And I see dodgeb4ya has pics of the same car I posted up...guess I'm not the only one who gathers pics from on-line auction sites....:D;)

That white one must have struck a nerve with a lot of us. Here is another picture of it grabbed when it was for sale. What a beauty!

post-7383-13585366865801_thumb.jpg

From 70 Years of Chrysler by George Dammann:

"Available in both the New Yorker and Saratoga line was the 3 passenger 3 window business coupe, which cost $1,325 and weighed 3,703 pounds in Saratoga form, and cost $1,385 and weighed 3,728 pounds in New Yorker trim. A very low production model, it had a run of only 80 in Saratoga form, and only 158 in the New Yorker Series"

"The Saratoga and New Yorkers continued to use their former 127.5 inch chassis and were powered by a slightly modified version of the 323.5 cubic inch Eight that was rated at 140 horsepower at 3600 rpm, with no power options available. Engine numbers ran from C36-1001 to C36-13526."

"As before, all 8 cylinder cars had Fluid Drive as standard equipment. Vacamatic was an added cost option on all models while Fluid Drive was an option on 6 cylinder models."

"Reappearing for the second year was the 3 passenger business coupe, available in both the Royal and Windsor Six Series, both of which were considered in the overall Series C-34.

This is the Royal Six version, which again was Chrysler's lightest and least expensive car, weighing 3,331 pounds and costing $1,075. Only 479 were built. In the Windsor Six version, it sold for $1,140 and weighed 3,351 pounds. Only 250 were built in the Windsor line. This marked the first time in Chrysler's history it did not have a car priced under $1,000."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For comparison, the Royal 4 door sedan had a run of 7424 and the Windsor 4 door had a run of 10,054 before production was halted for war production.

In 1946-1948, the Saratoga Business Coupe had a production of only 74 in the 3 yrs, while the New Yorker Business Coupe production was still a measly 701.

That car is VERY rare especially if it's a Saratoga IF George Dammann's figures are correct. I'm sure they are very close if not right on.

Even rarer to find one in Canada!!!1

Edited by PatS....

To restore/replace the dash plastic alone will be near impossible or cost a real fortune. Each door has a long narrow piece of marbled plastic that usually gets badly warped if the car had poor storage conditions. Only the rich 1941-2 Chrysler collectors seem to have any of that rare plastic-owners like John Meslow or Morris Sarnoff!

Re my mention of the April Collectible Auto magazine article............duh!!!.........its a 1942 Dodge 3 w busness coupe...........apologies for the mistake.........andyd

I am having some second thoughts here about buying this car , i know i could maybe build it into a hot rod allot easier and cheaper i have some mopar parts lying around but i think this car should be restored to its original beauty or at least used as a good parts car for some one that has one, when i get some more info and pictures if anyone here is interested in it maybe let me know, i have always wanted one of these but i think its just not doable for me i dont think my pockets are that deep!!!! never mind my wife would probably leave me :) , i will not stop looking for one that is a dream that i will always have , i just maybe have to find a coupe that is not as rare as this one and easier to get parts for.

Jim

My opinion is that you should buy the car...if you can get it cheap enough. It's a 3 window coupe like you want....and even if you end up hot rodding it you are at least saving the car form a worse fate. Rare or not it's still a derelict car and from the state it's in I don't think it will ever get the full top notch resto.

Or do as suggested...if you can get it cheap, then spend a few days cleaning it up, re-assembling it as best you can, then flip it for a few dollars more then what you paid for it.