tug to cranbrook?

Flatty52

Hello all! Newbie here from Alberta. I bought a 52 Cranbrook with tired 218 long block. I have the chance to buy a 251 tug engine completely rebuilt and am wondering about swapping it for the original and what kinds of issues I should be looking for. I'll be running a George Asche OD tranny if this matters at all. Any info/advice would be muchly appreciated. Thank you.

Some of the industrial engines have a plate on the right side providing the engine model with that information you could find more information about the engine. I think some of industrial engines ran with less hp and lower rpms then the auto engines.

except for some of the accessories, and linkages, should be a bolt in in a Canadian car.

And even if the 251 is detuned a bit for the application, it will still make more HP thant he 218.

I had though that engines made for stationary or some other industrial applications, might have different cams as they were going to be operated in a fairly constant (and in most cases lower) RPM ranges than automotive applications. But this dosan't seem to be the case with Chryco engines. Most were never meant to be run at high rpm regardless of operation, so no different cams were used, except in counter rotating marine applications.

You may find some differences in the crank shaft flange thickness and or flywheel offsets so you need to devine which pieces parts will complete the swap, but the engine should just go in.

• 4 weeks later...