MIA Headlights

PhilJohnson

My 1950 Dodge seems to have a little trouble with it's tail lights. A quick test with some wire revealed that the headlamps do work, at least on high beam when wired directly to the battery. The driver's side head lamp seems to have a ground problem which I've temporarily solved by running an extra ground wire. The head light switch will turn on the lights on the dash but not the head lamps. I have an extra wire which I can wire to the battery directly so I can have head lights. Is there a fuse somewhere that might have gotten burnt out? I've found a couple of in line fuses but they were both good. Thanks :)

Sounds like some quality time under the dash and under the hood with a test lamp and/or volt meter is in order.

You have power to the headlight switch because your tail lights work. But do you have power to the connection the headlights connect to?

Do you have power to the dimmer switch?

Do you have power to both the high and low beam outputs of the dimmer switch?

Etc. Just follow the money, er voltage, to see where it ends.

There is a circuit breaker behind the dash, next to the ammaeter/temperature gauge. Can't remember what it is for though. If you have a manual you can look it up, maybe trace the circuit. I trashed my manual, or I would down load a picture. Maybe some one else will post a wiring diagram. Good luck. 9 times out of 10 it is something simple.

The trucks used a circuit breaker attached to the end of the headlight switch and I believe the cars used a fuse. This powers the entire lighting system. If you have power to the tail lights than the fuse/breaker is good. It could be dirty contacts in the headlight switch, or it could be dirty contacts in the dimmer switch. Also check all connections and grounds. How good are the wires. If they are original they may be fairly fragile and susceptible to breakage.

Merle

The trucks used a circuit breaker attached to the end of the headlight switch and I believe the cars used a fuse.

Merle

Depends on the year. My 48 plymouth has a fuse. My 46 1/2 ton original switch also had a fuse but it was bad(the switch not the fuse) so I'm currently running a 50 plymouth switch which has a seperate breaker wired in.