318 into my '50 Coronet

FESTER60

Regarding the use of Rack & Pinion steering in cars not designed for them........the reason you have a larger turning circle when a rack is used is that the "throw" of the rack is generally less than the "throw" of the original steering box. The rack would have bolted to shorter steering arms or arms that were closer to the rack centerline. Original Mopar steering arms are longer and are not bent inwards sufficently resulting in a larger turning radius.

As far as I know there are 3 ways to fix this, 1. Have the length of the stock steering arms reduced by approximately 1". 2. Have new arms made that are shoter by 1" or 3. Use the stock arms but remount them so that they protrude 1" further forward on the lower spindle mount, ie the rear bolt hole sits on the front bolt hole and the front bolt hole uses an extension on the brake caliper mount plate new. I have had a rack & pinion setup on my 1940 Dodge since 1973 using shortened steering arms. these were done by an automotive blacksmith, were cut, rewelded and reforged.........but these guys are not around much now.........andyd

• 1 month later...

Well here it is. The "new" engine and trans. in the Coronet. It will of course be coming out again at least once more for firewall work and frame painting. But this is where it will spend the winter. I think I will send the trans. out for a freshening up. Also plan on a new intake/carb. setup. I have a pair of cool M/T valve covers to go on. Also showing the car with the "new" doors. Back at it in April.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee368/FESTER50/Dodge%20pics/

It looks like it belongs there!

Not as hard to mount as I thought it would be. The engine mounts are early A body. I cut off the curved pieces re-drilled the holes in the center and welded the old ones closed. Then I set the engine/trans. where I thought it should go and just made the frame mounts piece by piece. I just made a cardboard pattern for each piece until it looked right. Cut it out of 1/4" plate, and tacked it together. When I was convinced it was right I welded everything and that was it. My welding skills aren't the best, but what I lacked in skill I made up for in volume. Those frame mounts are welded everywhere a welding rod could reach.

Of course I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone here. A special thanks to Kirby for sending me a hard copy of an article re-print that helped A LOT!!!!

• Like 1

Think ya used enough "steel" there Butch ?? lol...:D Just jealous, I'm ready to install new motor mounts and I'm getting "cold feet" !!:confused:

Yeah, I think it should be heavy enough. Hmmm. Maybe I should have used 3/8. ;)Anyway I looked at the ready made kits and they were nice but kinda spendy. I thought I can make my own for a lot less. I say go for it. If I can do it, so can you. All it takes is some measuring, head scratching, and a lot of eye ballin'

Looks great! How much did you end up having to offset the engine, with that 273 curved exhaust manifold (for lack of a better descriptive term) shouldn't it have been able to bolt straight in? I want to do this swap as well but I don't want to have everything offset to the passengers side!:confused:

Kerry

sorry to be late on this. did the same/similar thing on my 41. the upswept manifold is a must. also, i cut the outer tube of the steering column off to expose the inner steering rod..we put a swivel/universal there to meet the steering box. perfect..

bill

post-358-13585364324453_thumb.jpg

Edited by claybill
spelling

Looks great! How much did you end up having to offset the engine, with that 273 curved exhaust manifold (for lack of a better descriptive term) shouldn't it have been able to bolt straight in? I want to do this swap as well but I don't want to have everything offset to the passengers side!:confused:

Kerry

It is really a non-issue as far as the car goes...OK, you can have an issue...but MotherMopar used the off-set in many production cars. Visually, it would be hard to detect unless you (he, they...) are searching and has zero effect on driveability.

It is really a non-issue as far as the car goes...OK, you can have an issue...but MotherMopar used the off-set in many production cars. Visually, it would be hard to detect unless you (he, they...) are searching and has zero effect on driveability.

Yes not an issue at all. You will not even notice it when it's all back together. As far as how far off center I went, I don't really know. I just eyeballed it until it looked right. I went mostly off of how much room I had with the steering tube and manifold. As you can see I cut off all the column shifter ears. Maybe you wouldn't have to do that but it looks cleaner.

One thing that took a long time was making the new cross member. You can see the one I made in the pics. Took me most of a day. That is what I came up with but there could be dozens of designs.

sorry to be late on this. did the same/similar thing on my 41. the upswept manifold is a must. also, i cut the outer tube of the steering column off to expose the inner steering rod..we put a swivel/universal there to meet the steering box. perfect..

bill

I like it. That would help if there was a clearance issue. What universal did you use?

FESTER60; What oil pan did you use on your motor?? Do you have pics of the trans mount installed ??? Looking for ideas !!! Cass, alias littlemo..:rolleyes: PS: Did you recieve my PM ??

The pan is for a '78 pickup. You will need a new oil pump sump as well. Got them from Summit Racing. I don't have pics of the trans mount installed. It's pretty simple though. Just 2" square tubing. The piece in the center is two pieces of 2" angle welded together to form 4" channel offset to match the engine. The two "feet" you see on the ends have holes in them for bolts. The whole thing is bolted through the holes to two pieces of angle welded to the frame. In other words the "feet" rest on the angle welded to the frame and are bolted on.

I mounted it further to the rear on purpose to give me plenty of room for a master cyl. upgrade.

• 3 months later...
FESTER60, I'm proceeding along the same game plan and using that exact same type of exhaust manifold on the drivers side. One question; how do we change our "spark-plugs"??? lol :confused: Cass, alias littlemo.....

Should be easy. From the top between the manifold and valve covers.

so you installed the motor to the side but dead straight to the back?

Yes. the engine/transmission is offset to the passenger side so the exhaust manifold can clear the steering column. You will have to dimple the firewall for more clearance for the pass. side head. The 904 fits nicely in the trans. tunnel.

You will hardly notice the offset at all.

• 2 weeks later...