Can you fit a 440 engine in a 1950 Plymouth?

addicted2dunes

I saw what I think you are speaking of:

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=15143&highlight=bigblock

I found a 440 big block and was just in a debate wether I want to do that over a small block, dimensionally the big block is 1/2" longer, 4.5" wider at the valve covers, and 1/2" shorter than a small block, so I think it'll fit. Exhaust will be fun though.

The extra width isn't a big deal due to the tapering of the inner fender wells, it's widest at the top which gives enough clearance. That can be seen in the pics from DND. I'm looking for a Mopar V8 to plug into my D24 so I will be doing some of the same mods to get everything to work.

Heck I've batted about putting one in a B1B truck. They kinda fit the trucks. Fit pretty nicely in the cars. I'm eyeballing a 54 sedan for sale in the next town over, have a 413-3/727 in the motorhome. If the motorhome leaks I'm putting that monster engine in something around here. I'm leaning toward the sedan over the truck though.

Helped a friend put a 383 in a 51 Dodge coupe, 50 Plymouth can't be that much different can it? You really want to find a complete donor car though, you'll need a lot of the little bits that add up quickly. 60s sedans are still cheap, you'll recoup most of the investment selling the front end to someone with a wagon or 2 door.

STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM THESE!!!! I bought a set a few years back and what a bunch of Chinese junk! they do not even fit the heads they are about 1/2" to long, and no way to get the bolts in, not even if i had drilled out the holes. on my 48 i used a set from a "B" body and they fit fine.

My swap list says the big block is actually 1/2" shorter at 29" than a small block at 29.5". This is as measured from w/p pulley to rear mounting surface.

The 440/400 equipped trucks used a center dump exhaust manifold. It interchangeable left to right if you don't care about the heat riser.

I've been looking into this because I have a 383 at the machine shop that will go into my '38 Chrysler this next winter.