wood for truck bed

randygall

Go over to the Mar-K site. If you hunt around in there a little, they show the groove patterns and dimension so the strips will lay in correctly. Might even have a kit for your truck.

I recently replaced the bed wood in my '53 3/4 ton stakebed. It has the short, 7 1/2 foot bed and the boards were all 90"x71/2"x1". I'm not sure but yours would probably be the same except for the length. You also need to cut grooves into both sides of each board for the bed strips, except the end boards which only have grooves on the inside edges. I bought my wood (red oak) locally for $10.00 per board - what a deal! The hardware came from Bruce Horkey. It was a custom order because there aren't a lot of stakebeds left. Bruce's brother, Ted, walked me through the process and the hardwdare arrived quickly and fit perfectly. Zeke

post-219-13585359095573_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Great work Hank.  I GREATLY appreciate and some times envy those who do such fantastic work. You and I are in different camps regarding rebuilding an old truck thankfully there is room for both of us in this forum. .

I am aware that there is a great deal of beauty in a great truck bed. I knew two things: (1) many beds came from the factory in black (2) I was going to USE my truck. So i threw in a 3/4" marine plywood and stained it. I did not like this stain so I went flat black. So glad I did for a beautiful bed would no longer be such. 

The bed strips are correctly called "shovel" strips. They were put in so grain shovels could not dig into the wood. 

Stainedbed2_zps6889f170.jpg

Edited by pflaming