What temp is too hot to drive your P15?

fedoragent

Folks,

Where I live here in LA, we are getting a severe heatwave. I haven't been able to drive the Plymouth since Thursday as it has been blisteringly hot. Right now, it is 106 degrees and rising, and it may be 111 today. It got me to thinking...theoretically what is too hot to drive for the car? My car has never overheated, but the maximum I've driven it outside was 96-100 degrees. For some of you that live in hot climates, what is your max for when you won't drive the car. Curious P15ers might want to know. I know I do. :)

FG.

FG, err on the side of caution, avoid mid day heat, drive in the morning and evenings, those temps are getting up there.

If your cooling system is in preemo shape, water jackets, water pump, rad etc, then some moderate dring in hot temps can be done. Its when you start pushing it up hills, high speed on the freeway, pulling a load etc.

Engine Temps of 180 to 195 aren't going to kill it, it's when they rise over 200, and are not going to cool down, is when stuff happens.

Why don't you go for a short, lower speed ride today and see what happens.........Fred

Folks,

Where I live here in LA, we are getting a severe heatwave. I haven't been able to drive the Plymouth since Thursday as it has been blisteringly hot. Right now, it is 106 degrees and rising, and it may be 111 today. It got me to thinking...theoretically what is too hot to drive for the car? My car has never overheated, but the maximum I've driven it outside was 96-100 degrees. For some of you that live in hot climates, what is your max for when you won't drive the car. Curious P15ers might want to know. I know I do. :)

FG.

It gets too hot for me long before it gets too hot for my 1933 PD. When I was younger and less of a wimp, I did drive the 33 between Newhall (north side of LA) and Tucson several times in the summer. Don't push it too hard (power required goes up as the cube of speed, and so the waste heat to dissipate through the cooling system goes up by that same factor. That is somewhat but not entirely mitigated by increased airflow through the radiator). Drink plenty of fluids. Dream of air conditioning. Other than that, no big deal if the vehicle is in reasonable shape.

Only one question. What was the temperature in 46-7-8 when your car was new? Did the folks back then stay home, cuss and sweat when it was too hot to drive? I dont think they stayed home but I am sure they cussed and swetted. Did the cars overheat in those days? I think they did but as Tod mentioned they learned how to drive there cars conservitavely without over heating. The same applies today.

Only one question. What was the temperature in 46-7-8 when your car was new? Did the folks back then stay home, cuss and sweat when it was too hot to drive? I dont think they stayed home but I am sure they cussed and swetted. Did the cars overheat in those days? I think they did but as Tod mentioned they learned how to drive there cars conservitavely without over heating. The same applies today.

I don't know, but I do know that the original owner is probably as cool as a popsicle and doesn't care now. It as 113 today in Los Angeles. The owner is NOT driving in this heat. And I'm not going to dream of air conditioning...I'm going to have it put in.

FG.

If you are worried about overheating your flathead 6 now, adding AC will only exacerbate the problem. The AC compressor and fans are powered by the engine, and with more work the greater likelihood of overheating. I drove across Nebraska in 103*F heat, with all four windows open and the cowl vent open, I was not uncomfortable driving 50 mph. I did watch my temperature gauge closely, but she never overheated.

The question, then, I must ask. Are you concerned about the engine overheating or are you concerned about your personal comfort? You seem to be asking two different questions.

How hot is too hot for the car? Depends on what shape the engine cooling system is in. How hot is too hot for you to be driving in an old car? That depends on what kind of condition you are in. I would assume that you are in better shape than me, as I would probably be called obese at 6'2" 270#.

If you are worried about overheating your flathead 6 now, adding AC will only exacerbate the problem. The AC compressor and fans are powered by the engine, and with more work the greater likelihood of overheating. I drove across Nebraska in 103*F heat, with all four windows open and the cowl vent open, I was not uncomfortable driving 50 mph. I did watch my temperature gauge closely, but she never overheated.

The question, then, I must ask. Are you concerned about the engine overheating or are you concerned about your personal comfort? You seem to be asking two different questions.

How hot is too hot for the car? Depends on what shape the engine cooling system is in. How hot is too hot for you to be driving in an old car? That depends on what kind of condition you are in. I would assume that you are in better shape than me, as I would probably be called obese at 6'2" 270#.

Ben,

It's really a mix of both personal comfort and not over heating the car. And you and I are in the same weight class. :)

FG.

While a definite must during a rebuild, removing the old sludge from the cooling system, I would spend some time behind the wheel in different conditions and travel speeds, and see how she performs. Converting to AC will likely require a 12v conversion as all aftermarket AC systems that I am aware of require 12v. I do not know of any 6-12 converters that can handle the amperage AC requires. One more thing to consider.

I have only visited sunny Southern California twice, but I did live in arid Eastern Colorado for a year. We did not have AC in our house, just left the windows open, and I can only think of two instances where we thought AC might make things a little more comfortable. I never felt uncomfortable or worried about overheating driving my '46 more door in 100+ *F heat.

My wife is more sensitive to heat and humidity than me, and she has never been uncomfortable in all sorts of summer weather, even 98*F & 98% humidity, in our car as long as the windows are open.

The car is, of course 12V and had been converted before I got her. The gents reponsible were saints for doing that. As far as the AC and the extra load, it may take some time...but I'll figure it out.

FG.

While a definite must during a rebuild, removing the old sludge from the cooling system, I would spend some time behind the wheel in different conditions and travel speeds, and see how she performs. Converting to AC will likely require a 12v conversion as all aftermarket AC systems that I am aware of require 12v. I do not know of any 6-12 converters that can handle the amperage AC requires. One more thing to consider.

I have only visited sunny Southern California twice, but I did live in arid Eastern Colorado for a year. We did not have AC in our house, just left the windows open, and I can only think of two instances where we thought AC might make things a little more comfortable. I never felt uncomfortable or worried about overheating driving my '46 more door in 100+ *F heat.

My wife is more sensitive to heat and humidity than me, and she has never been uncomfortable in all sorts of summer weather, even 98*F & 98% humidity, in our car as long as the windows are open.

I drive mine in 110-120 temp every summer in the High desert areas around Barstow with no problems, after we replaced the water dist tupe and had the rad boiled out. The water temp stays around 180 and the evap cooler keeps us from overheating. It was 106 the day this photo was shot on Main St (Route 66) in Barstow.

Dennis:cool:

post-12-13585357079177_thumb.jpg

I drive mine in 110-120 temp every summer in the High desert areas around Barstow with no problems, after we replaced the water dist tupe and had the rad boiled out. The water temp stays around 180 and the evap cooler keeps us from overheating. It was 106 the day this photo was shot on Main St (Route 66) in Barstow.

Dennis:cool:

Persay, I've never had my car over heat. She's always stayed around 180 and have never had a problem. I may run her today in 100 degree weather to see how she does.

FG.

As stated before on the forum, my bro and I drove accros the Majove from Las Vegas to Bakersfield in 1958. We drove by the tempature guage and made it fine, unlike newer cars. For quite a while we only drove 40 mph but was happy to be moving. These engines in trucks hauled wheat out of HOT harvested fields so they can stand heat.