Would these wheels fit my 47 Plymouth?

fedoragent

881269.thumb?d=1264471776Folks,

I have 15" right now...I am changing my mind and am thinking I want 16" wheels as the car will sit higher. Would these fit my hub caps and my car? These are from a 39 Plymouth.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439749

Thanks,

FG.

Edited by fedoragent

Yes but the selection of 16 inch tires these days seems to be skate board style tires for rice rockets, light truck tires, with stiff side walls or really expensive classic car bias plies.

What size/type of tire are you running now???

To answer your posted question the wheels will fit, the hubcaps should fit.

Yes but the selection of 16 inch tires these days seems to be skate board style tires for rice rockets, light truck tires, with stiff side walls or really expensive classic car bias plies.

What size/type of tire are you running now???

To answer your posted question the wheels will fit, the hubcaps should fit.

I am running 15" wheels, 275 in the rear, 205 in the front. I'm wanting to run 215/75/R16. I also have Lyon Whitewalls that I'm looking to run. Are these Safety Rims? When did Safety Rims come into play? Before '39?

Thanks,

FG.

Don't know for sure when safety rims were intro'd maybe you can find the date on All Par.

Safety wheels came out in 1940 per Allpar. Does is really make all that much of a difference? If you're using radials it shouldn't right?

FG.

Depends what sort of hubcaps or wheel covers you want to use,

whether the high center of the rim makes any difference.

If you want to use the original style caps and perhaps some trim rings,

then no problem. If you want to use some full wheel covers, they will

need to have high centers.....which eliminates many types. Been there

and discovered that.

Depends what sort of hubcaps or wheel covers you want to use,

whether the high center of the rim makes any difference.

If you want to use the original style caps and perhaps some trim rings,

then no problem. If you want to use some full wheel covers, they will

need to have high centers.....which eliminates many types. Been there

and discovered that.

I have the stock hub caps. I also have 16" Lyon Whitewalls. So that should do...but should I be concerned about the Safety Rims?

I have the stock hub caps. I also have 16" Lyon Whitewalls. So that should do...but should I be concerned about the Safety Rims?

No, I have the original style 16" inch rims (not safety) on my '38 Chrysler. I have driven it 1000's of miles with no problems what-so-ever. Not sure it will make your car sit higher as the overall diameter of the tires is likely very similar to the 15". Personally, I would stay with the 15" as tires are way easier to find for them.

FedoraAgent,

The wheel pictured tonight is identical in size, clips, and construction to the ones I stated to attempt to peddle to you as of today. I finally got the pic posting thing down, and got a pic of the ornament posted, but I have no wheel pics archived anymore, so send and email if you can (I am persmitz in the other posts), and I can send pics of my wheels. Now, back on topic I would like to submit something you may or may not have considered. Runnin a flathead, ceteris paribus, I would not only use the 16, but use also the largest reasonable sixteen that I could! This will give you probably 8-10 percent greater roadspeed at a given RPM. I call it a poor mans overdrive, or over, overdrive. On modern roads, wouldn't that be a great and economical advantage? Yes, your speedometer will be off accordingly, that is, if it were on to begin with. Perry in Idaho

prs519@hotmail.com for pics of wheels I offered.

I own a 47 P15 that came with 16" tires. The bias ply tires were just too much trouble. Darting,road walking, and a roughf ride. I bought a set of Goodyear Eagles. 205 70R-16. I took measurements before and after. The car height is still the same. Good clearence, and you would not believe how the car now handles. I used the same factory rims with steel valve stems. The tires have been on the car for almost a year now,and I have added no air to them. The tires came at a good price. Maurice:)

Folks,

Here gang is the dilemma. Unfortunately, I have made a couple of mistakes. One, I purchased some vintage, perfect condition 16" Lyon Whitewalls. My wheels as I discovered are bloody 15"s. So, I have the dilemma that either I get 16" wheels or...sell the 16" Lyon Steel whitewalls. These were just too hard to pass up. So therefore now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Amazingly enough, I've been doing research and have found that indeed 15" tires are easier to find than the 16" tires. I know I want white walls, but my buddy has those Lyons...and they are just awesome.

And right now...I have tires on the car that are just fine. The wheels are from the late 50s/early 60s and are radials that drive fine. So, I could wait...for the right time.

Any advice would be appreciated. And if 47Heaven is reading this...no doggone it I'm not buying the d*mn bias plys. I'm going with radials.

FG.

Folks,

Here gang is the dilemma. Unfortunately, I have made a couple of mistakes. One, I purchased some vintage, perfect condition 16" Lyon Whitewalls. My wheels as I discovered are bloody 15"s. So, I have the dilemma that either I get 16" wheels or...sell the 16" Lyon Steel whitewalls. These were just too hard to pass up. So therefore now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Amazingly enough, I've been doing research and have found that indeed 15" tires are easier to find than the 16" tires. I know I want white walls, but my buddy has those Lyons...and they are just awesome.

And right now...I have tires on the car that are just fine. The wheels are from the late 50s/early 60s and are radials that drive fine. So, I could wait...for the right time.

Any advice would be appreciated. And if 47Heaven is reading this...no doggone it I'm not buying the d*mn bias plys. I'm going with radials.

FG.

Get them radials!!!! i would do the 16 inch rim as well and run the lyons and whitewall radials!

Edited by mackster