converting form split rim to tubeless

doing a resto-mod (mod being the tires) of a '51 1 ton, I'd like to take the centers out of the split rims and weld them into a new tubelss hoop, anyone have any sources for the hoops?

thanks!

RATS! there goes the simple answers! :(

there are 7.5 - 16 tires on there now, not having much luck finiding a hoop that will fit. I *think* I measured the centers to be about 15.875 O.D. and no hoops I can find (so far) will marry up nice.

Issues with the backset and clearance and LOOK is why I am trying to re-use the centers w/ a new hoop....I DON'T want to spend the $$$ for custom made rims, and really want to avoid the issues w/ split rims...this might take a while I think...

Any other ideas?

My '92 D-250 CTD ran on 235/85R16 tires, and that is similar in size to the 7.50-16 tires. One of my plans, way way way down the road, is to find some D-250 rims, remove the centers from those, & replace them with the centers from my lock-ring rims. One thing I've noticed is that my single wheel one ton rims have a different offset than the dually one ton rims, and that offset is different from D-350 rims, dunno if the bolt circle is the same or not though.

At any rate, I am wanting to get away from the lock rings because of the hassle of trying to get a simple flat fixed. I've already had to stop using two truck tire shops because those guys ding'd up my lock rings every time with their sledge hammers, and their attitude was...well, they were truck stops and I was throwing off their rhythm I reckon. But then again, some kid at Firestone ripped the bead while trying to fix the flat on my Ram 2500 CTD a few weeks ago & ruined that tire, so what can a dude do...

If the grooves and rings are clean and straight-there shouldn't be an issue with the locking rings although I do share your concerns. I've even seen folks run radials on these old rims. I just found 2 in a local yard that I'm going to clean up and put new rubber on for the rear. I was at Macungie this past weekend and one vendor had 2 6 lug 17" drop centers for $15 but I'm not even sure if these would clear our drums-I had a tape with me I should have taken a measurement. If they did fit, the next issue w 17's or 17.5's is finding tires which is why I didn't look more closely, but I thought I struck gold until I saw the tire size on the sidewalls. Another option that would be like a "super single" is the lockring style rims that were used on the Kaiser Jeep military vehicles in the 60's. These should be available through a surplus dealer somewhere as NOS, but they have a different deep offset than the single or duals of our trucks. They can only be used as singles, but I believe that they're wider than our rims. Mike

Edited by MBFowler

• 5 weeks later...

time to resurrect this thread, as I have news. I'm working with a hoop manufacturer on maybe having hoops made that could be welded to my centers. Problem is that in order to see if it will work, I'm most likely going to have to sacrifice a wheel to tear apart and try. How hard will it be for me to find a replacement if this doesn't work?

looks like a 17" drop center hoop might weld up to the centers for my B-3-D, will have to find out, but then makes the tires 17". Still waiting to hear of I destroy a rim of mine to try this and it doesn't work if the rims are easy enought to replace.

No source that I have seen yet. Do be aware of the drum interference issue on modern tubeless 16" wheels on the 1 ton. They will not fit due to the drop center. Let us know what you find out there.

has anyone tried swapping in different brakes, say like from a 3/4 ton or a later model (70-80s)? That would take care of the drop rim problems and make brakes easier to do on these old guys.

• 3 months later...

well the saga continues....

Coker got me the rim after a snafu w/ shipping, turns out the 6" hoop ID runs around 15" while their 4" hoops run 15.125". Sadly the discussion I was having with the nice gentleman there he thought the 6" was 15.125". Near as I can measure the center on these is 15.125" strong, so no way to use the Coker hoop. Soooooo, anyone know of any other hoop manufactureres out there?

Can one put radials on the split rim w/ a tube inside?

I saved my 49 I ton from being junked a couple years back , rims were bad , spokes rotted off at the rim , my buddy who runs the yard pulled some rims off a International 1 ton from the 70s for it so I could move it ... fit nice about a 5/8 inch of extra offset but unless you have them side by side youd never know !

• Like 1

Try looking for a Ford F350 mid 50's-mid 60's-they have the same bolt pattern. IH's of the same vintage do as well. Again-if your rims and rings are in good solid shape there shouldn't be a problem running "tubed radials" with new flaps. The trucking industry did this for years back in the mid 70's when the initial swap was made from bias ply to radials on the big rigs. Another alternative is to contact a wheel company to have drop center rims made up with the correct offset and bolt pattern. Hang on to your shorts if you go this route! I had a friend that had some rims for his vintage power wagon. They were plain janes with flat centers. I think he said the costs was $250 per wheel a couple of years ago. Mike

• Like 1

Try looking for a Ford F350 mid 50's-mid 60's-they have the same bolt pattern. IH's of the same vintage do as well. Again-if your rims and rings are in good solid shape there shouldn't be a problem running "tubed radials" with new flaps. The trucking industry did this for years back in the mid 70's when the initial swap was made from bias ply to radials on the big rigs. Another alternative is to contact a wheel company to have drop center rims made up with the correct offset and bolt pattern. Hang on to your shorts if you go this route! I had a friend that had some rims for his vintage power wagon. They were plain janes with flat centers. I think he said the costs was $250 per wheel a couple of years ago. Mike

I kinda asked Coker about that tand they said they didn't have the forming dies to do that...they'd have to make new forming dies....THAT is spendy. At some point in the distant, money rich future, I just may have some aluminum rims made to spec...I think for now I'll puter with looking this winter but plan on going to use the splits in spring....