HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY (part 1)

Cpt.Fred

praise the lord!

i got my rear brakedrum off on the passenger side!

bought a puller just like you guys said, 4 hits with a "BFH" (again a useful thing i've learned here) and BANG it came right off!

20091022102249596_ocvlullgrx.jpg

20091022102311427_xxrmzlxsng.jpg

victory is mine!

20091022102331819_jvtglcrqow.jpg

20091022102352067_wnhsulltcv.jpg

20091022102413528_vkfpziumlb.jpg

unfortunately, my new whell cyls are smaller in diameter than the ones originally bolted on there, but i guess that should work. i have overhaul kits for the big ones lying around somewhere, so i can rebuild them and swap them in next year if it shouldn't work correctly.

what do you think?

i sure hope the driver's side comes off that easy...

Fred, congratulations.........as for the rh brake drum.........I can hear it shakin' with fear and trepidation from here...........and I'm here in Australia........lol............btw that puller, whilst it IS a BIG one still isn't as big as mine........I have a Coxhead brand puller, 5 arms, 2" diameter thread in the middle and you use a VERYBFH.......lol........ain't cars fun!!!............andyd

Have you given any thought to having the wheel cylinders resleeved?

Bob

And if you plan to do that and you can't find a place locally that will do it, I can recommend Apple Hydraulics in New York. They did my master cylinder for about $85. They inserted a brass sleeve, honed it, bead blasted the master cylinder AND painted it. Let me know if you need contact information.

And congratulations on getting the drum off. I can only imagine how good that felt.

oh yes, felt soooooo good! some people here know exactly what i mean;) after reading so many about it and trying so long i finally made to the "other side", into the "got-my-drums-off"-club:D

violence DOES work. hehe.

about resleeving....

i tried with my old front cyls, i posted some pictures some time ago.turned out to be a desaster! the cast on the old parts was really bad, holes in there you could read the paper through! when they put the new sleeves in, the cast iron cracked, they tried whelding, brazing and soldering, i had new pistons machined, everything! we didn't get them airtight and they just wouldn't seal.

in the end, i ended up with about 500EUR less on the bank and call from andy bernbaum, who told me they had found another set of repros.

that was AFTER i sunk all that money, of course:rolleyes:

next time, i'll send them to that shop you're talking about,joe. right away.

My mechanic fellow evidently had a heck of a time removing the right rear

brake assembly on the brown coupe. It was from some newer model car,

perhaps a 50s Plym or Dodge. He ended up with some bent stuff and had to

tear up part of it to remove. I was gone at the time he did the work, so I

don't know all the details.

Replaced what was there with correct P15 pieces. I imagine those will come

off OK next time.

• 2 weeks later...

and part 2, finally! the other drum came off, too, but gave me a bad time i tell you.

because the garage is so narrow and there's my friend's '67 fury III in there next to my car, i had to squeeze in between the car and the wall.

i had to whack the puller for about half an hour, and just when i wanted to stop and least expected it,

it came loose with a huge POP and i jumped out of my skin...

badly hurt my head in the wheel well:mad:

boy, my ears where ringing:D

i dragged the drum and puller out there in front of the car,

sat on a chair and emptied two beers staring at it and grinning like a cheshire cat:D

now i'll build me a brake shoe adjusting tool, bleed it and that's it. finally.

all the best from berlin,

fred

Edited by Cpt.Fred

Congratulations, Fred. I also work in a very tight space and so I know what it's like to not have enough room. I have to roll my car out of my tiny garage to work on it. I'd give anything for more space. When you build your adjusting tool, let us know, I'd like to see how it's done. I might have to fabricate one myself.

Fred, are those the brakes on the 40? I was surprised to see the spring type shoe retainers and the shoes look like they fit way into the wheel cylinders.

Different retainers than 1933, but the same "shoes fit way into the wheel cylinders". Here is the 1933 rear brakes (front are basically identical):

tf20021231-02.jpg

Getting the dust seals for that style brake cylinder/shoe connection is getting harder. Most of them have round holes for the rod, not rectangular holes for the shoes.

When you get ready to do the brakes go out to the technical Archives.

There are two post onthe use of the Ammco Brake gage and also the Miller Brake gage. I did this power point presentation at the AACA Antique Automobile Club of America's Convention that was here in Philadelphia PA.

I have both of these tools.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

todfitch:

kanter still has them, so has andy bernbaum. they seem good in quality and fit really well. i bought an extra package so i wouldn't have to wait so long next time i need them.

rich:

i read everything about adjusting and the ammco gauge i could find, was very helpful! (also thanks to mr blueskies here:)) i think a less complicated version of that gauge can be easily fabricated to fulfill the basic adjustment needs.

i'll keep you updated when i build it, already pulled a good friend into the boat who's a great metal worker:D

i did a "freestyle"adjustment yesterday with the drums on and will bleed the system first. afterwards i'll go on constructing the tool.

NAPA still lists them in their PRO SE catalogue... Part #UP6

I don't come up with anything when I enter "UP6" into NAPAonline's PRO SE search function....

I believe Roberts also carries the boots as I got a rebuild kit from them recently. So I know that they are available through the specialty providers. When I posted earlier by "getting harder" to find was that I wasn't able to get them through my local auto supply store. So I am interested in a NAPA number for those things.

hey todfitch, lighten up!:D

if i'd pull up in front of my local autoparts store here in berlin with that heap of iron and demand spare parts for it, they'd probable shoot at me:D

i'm always surprised how easy it is to get parts for these old ladies, when i still had had my 69 opel it was a lot harder, can you believe that? ok, now i have to wait a few weeks and hang around the customs office all day to get my stuff, but at least i get it at all!

one more reason to love these cars!