1947 Lyon steel whitewalls...on the road again

47heaven

Picked up a set of original Lyon steel whitewalls on Ebay a couple of weeks ago to put on my blackwall radials. Though they were in good shape, they needed to be sanded, primered and repainted. Doing some research on these things, it seems that many Chrysler cars sported these from the the dealerships back in 1947 and 1948, maybe after too, but not sure. I have seen a lot of old pics of P15s with these on them instead of regular whitewalls, but haven't seen Chevys or Fords from that era using them. Would be nice to know why. Anyway, I slapped them on today and they look like a million bucks. They seem like they will hold well, but I'm afraid that since they hang over the edge of the rim about 1/8 of an inch, that the radial may bow out too much and pop them off when hitting a bump. Trying to think of a way to keep them on there secure without drilling a hole through them. They sure add an authentic look. The only problem is that that a couple of the rims have rust marks from where the stainless beauty rings used to be. Might have to have those repainted. Also, the lettering on the radials kind of stand out, unfortunately. See what you think.

BTW...is anyone else on here sportin' these on their cars?

post-155-13585351587045_thumb.jpg

post-155-13585351587838_thumb.jpg

post-155-13585351588692_thumb.jpg

post-155-13585351589501_thumb.jpg

post-155-13585351590174_thumb.jpg

They look great.I have a set of 16 inch Lyon metal whitewalls for my 46 Plymouth.Also had to sand and paint them.I have 600x16 bias tires mounted.

They look great.I have a set of 16 inch Lyon metal whitewalls for my 46 Plymouth.Also had to sand and paint them.I have 600x16 bias tires mounted.

Thanks, Ralph. I would love to have the bias ply once again, but I'm now spoiled with the nice ride of the radials. Do you have a pic showing them on your P15?

Reg,The Lyon whitewalls on your 40 Plymouth look familiar - maybe the set I got from you.They look good on my Plymouth too...Darin,I'll post a photo later - Ralph

BTW...do these rings pop off easy? They weren't cheap and I can't go out and get more if they do. Also, what is an easy way of taking them off without bending them, since I noticed how thin the metal is. They seem pretty snug, but I was wondering if the brakes were to ever get hot would they somehow come loose?

I think you need a longish screwdriver and some patience to remove those

rings. Have to be gentle with them.

You're right, Bob. The first one I put on I started to take it off from the outside edges with a screw driver and noticed that I was bending the ring a little. I managed to get it off and fix the bends, but they are fragile.

So you were the one who probably out bid me by a little old $1 :)

LOL...I outbid someone, but it wasn't by a little, old $1. This was the second pair I bidded for on Ebay. The first pair I bidded on didn't fit, so I need to list them on Ebay, but they don't fit our cars.

46 - 48 Mopars typically came with a similar whitewall insert made of plastic. The Lyons are superior because they don't yellow and crack like the plastic ones, however, if you're going for an authentic factory look, the plastic ones would be the way to go. I prefer the Lyons myself and they are period correct.

Picked up a set of original Lyon steel whitewalls on Ebay a couple of weeks ago to put on my blackwall radials. Though they were in good shape, they needed to be sanded, primered and repainted. Doing some research on these things, it seems that many Chrysler cars sported these from the the dealerships back in 1947 and 1948, maybe after too, but not sure. I have seen a lot of old pics of P15s with these on them instead of regular whitewalls, but haven't seen Chevys or Fords from that era using them. Would be nice to know why. Anyway, I slapped them on today and they look like a million bucks. They seem like they will hold well, but I'm afraid that since they hang over the edge of the rim about 1/8 of an inch, that the radial may bow out too much and pop them off when hitting a bump. Trying to think of a way to keep them on there secure without drilling a hole through them. They sure add an authentic look. The only problem is that that a couple of the rims have rust marks from where the stainless beauty rings used to be. Might have to have those repainted. Also, the lettering on the radials kind of stand out, unfortunately. See what you think.

BTW...is anyone else on here sportin' these on their cars?

46 - 48 Mopars typically came with a similar whitewall insert made of plastic. The Lyons are superior because they don't yellow and crack like the plastic ones, however, if you're going for an authentic factory look, the plastic ones would be the way to go. I prefer the Lyons myself and they are period correct.

I would be surprised if any of the plastic ones still exist. They would probably disintegrate if you even try to put some NOS ones on.

• 1 year later...

Folks,

I have recently scored some 16" Lyon Whitewalls that don't necessarily say that they are for Plymouths. But they say they are for Chryslers 37-41. I have '39 16" Plymouth wheels now. They look like they should fit...however I don't quite know how the heck they stay secured. Does anyone have a picture of the back of their Lyon WWs? I'd like to see that. Oh...and yes I have my hubcaps as well. And all the clips are on the wheels. :)

SCORE!

FG.

Hey Guys,i've just relised that i have a set of these trims myself!

The ones i have are nice and shiney,i thought they were just a wheel cover,

they are held in place by the hub cap,so i know they wont come off at least!

So now i have something else to paint,but they will look pretty cool when painted a nice bright white.

Another small win for me!

My covers are not Lyon, I don't know what they are other than pretty cheap. They are a very light gauge steel and have no inner color band. They are held on by the hubcap clips and the hubcaps themselves. I got them at a swap meet several years ago in a box that said they were for a 49 Plymouth. I know they are nothing like the real thing, but for $10,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

post-60-13585357294429_thumb.jpg

post-60-13585357296373_thumb.jpg

post-60-13585357298404_thumb.jpg