My project is just about done

Great project Steamer! Some of your shop pictures reminded me of my shop. I was looking for a close up of your rail and winch....did I miss it or do have one stashed? How's the ride?:D

48D

Great project Steamer! Some of your shop pictures reminded me of my shop. I was looking for a close up of your rail and winch....did I miss it or do have one stashed? How's the ride?:D

48D

The shop is just my barn that was turned into a place to work on the truck. If you look at the before picture you can see the box is hanging from a 1/2 ton chain fall which rides on the trolley rail bolted to the I-joists. I actually took the engine out using that system, but borrowed an engine hoist for the install of the rebuilt engine. As for the ride -- it goes great. The motor is strong with 50 lbs. of oil pressure at speed and 20 at idle when warmed up. The steering at this time is typical 1948, ie. it bump steers and wanders a bit. I am having the front end aligned and toe in checked on Tuesday and fully expect an improvement. Thanks

Steamer-nice truck. I made my own alignment tool to set toe in using a piece of bedrail, and a couple of adjustable pointers. I jack up the front end, scribe a pencil line near the center of each tire (around the full circumfrence) and set it back down on the ground. I set the pointers so that they're each on the center line in the rear of the tires, clamp it down, and then move the unit to the front of the tires and adjust so that there is about 1/8" toe in (difference) between the front and rear measurements. I've even used it on independant front suspensions to get them close to be able to drive to the alignment shop. Both times the toe was right on and didn't need to be readjusted at the shop! Mike

Streamer,

Very nice job. Congratulations. Now the fun begins. I'm sure you will enjoy the benefits of all your labor.

I almost never drive my truck without someone giving me a thumbs up. It's sorta fun, except for one kid who wanted to know if I was the original owner. Told him I just LOOKED old, but wasn't freally THAT old. Don't think he understood. So I had to tell him I was seven years old when the truck was built. Then he got it . . . . . . :)

Good Luck

Thanks for all of your coments and additional information. When I bought this truck two years ago, I knew very little about these Dodge Pilot House trucks.

The first thing I did before I started to work on it was join this forum, that was the best thing I could have done. If it were not for all the tech and general knowledge of all of you and your willingness to put up with and answer my questions, the truck would not have turned out nearly as well as it did. Here are three pics showing the result of your help -- finished. Thanks

th_dodgeboxbackon053.jpg

th_dodgeboxbackon057.jpg

th_dodgeboxbackon059.jpg

I like the individ creativity that happens in old truck-car 'restoration/rebulding'. I would use black tires and a touch of red and level the truck by lowering the back, but that is me. It is a great looking truck just as it is.

OT: On a side note, my brother just found the 1935 D John Deere that our father owned. I have two brothers so we purchased it, will truck it to CA and get it running again. :)